Error with package manager

It says your file system is read-only :fearful:

@Wimpy

I never had that problem before. Waht could be the problem?

I restarted it and installed updates. Once the updates were installed, I restarted again. Both times I restarted It looked like when the kernal started it went into emergency mode. It told me to check the log with journalctl -xb.

Here are some of the errors in the logfile. It easier than pasting the whole log file into Pastebin.

acpi LNXCPU:00: Invalid PBLK length [7]

ACPI PCC probe failed.

tpm_tis 00:05: A TPM error (7) occurred attempting to read a pcr value

fsck failed with error code 4.

Can’t find host 0.ubuntu.pool.ntp.org: Name or service not known
Can’t find host 1.ubuntu.pool.ntp.org: Name or service not known
Can’t find host 2.ubuntu.pool.ntp.org: Name or service not known
Can’t find host 3.ubuntu.pool.ntp.org: Name or service not known
Can’t find host ntp.ubuntu.com: Name or service not known (-2)
no servers can be used, exiting

nm_device_get_device_type: assertion ‘NM_IS_DEVICE (self)’

PAM unable to dlopen(pam_kwallet.so): /lib/security/pam_kwallet.s

PAM adding faulty module: pam_kwallet.so

[1426604909.775168] [dns-manager/nm-dns-dnsmasq.c:

[pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running.

Hi,

restart in recovery mode and run DPKG (network cable required) per this guide:

For some reason, GRUB does not show up when I reboot.Can I do this with a LiveUSB?

@wolfman

I followed the instructions as best I could, but I had a hard time navigating around the recovery menu. The cursor/selector would not move up and down like I wanted it to do and sometimes text would appear on top of it. Is there any other way to run DPKG? I had Syncaptic fix broken packages.

Edit: I ran DPKG from the MATE Terminal and from the emergeny mode during boot. It still boots into emergency mode and I have to type exit to get to the Desktop. What is the problem?

Hi JB,

with all the other things you mention that aren’t working like the arrow keys for example, leads me to believe that you may have burnt your Ubuntu Mate disk too quickly if you used a disk to do your install!:

If you did a USB install, did you fully format the stick to FAT32?.

The only other option that I have for you is to try booting into recovery mode again and activate network; this time drop to "root" and type the following commands:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

and then:

sudo apt-get install -f

as I suspect that you basically have a damaged install and it may be possible to fix it with those commands!.

Once done, restart with Ctrl + Alt + Del, do not click on resume!.

Rgards Wolfman :grin:

I used SUSE Studio Imagewriter.

Did you pre-format the stick before you created the boot media or did you rely on the app to do so?.

I relied on the app.

I could not get to the root option on the menu. So when emergency mode came up and I ran the commands. Nothing installed. Maybe I should reinstall.

Hi,

that is up to you, I do have a question though, is your keyboard a wireless KB?, I ask because Ubuntu doesn’t play nice with all of them in recovery mode!.

If you do a new install, make sure you format the USB stick with FAT32 first!.

Nope. It’s a USB keyboard.

Then in that case I suggest a fresh install and a complete new ISO image downloaded from a different location than the last one as that may also be a cause of the problem.

And don’'t forget, FORMAT THE USB STICK FIRST!. I wrote that bit just to make you aware of how important that is, good luck JB. :grin:

I’m not in the mood right now to do a total reinstall. Do you think I can get by with the system as it is for now?

Sure you can keep it running, what I would do is check your software sources settings and maybe change the software sources download location, it should be “Main” or most likely you have it set to the country where you installed which is standard, see the update guide link I posted earlier if you wish to try this approach.

Here is the link again, you’ll find it about halfway down:

@wolfman I’ve had some problems with this machine. As far as I can tell the BIOS was the problem. When I got it, the BIOS did not support drives of 2TB. I’ve updated the BIOS to fix that, but I did so after I install Ubuntu MATE. I think that might have been the problem. I’m formatting my USB drive at FAT32 now. I redownloaded UM Beta 1 from torrent and I’ll use UNetBootin to create a LiveUSB to install.

Hi JB,

good luck, this might interest you btw!:

I saw it before hand.

1 Like

@wolfman, I reinstalled a while a go and have been keeping up on updates, but this problems is rearing its head again. It told me there was a problem with the package manager because the apt folder could not be locked. I restarted with the idea that a reboot can fix a multitude of problems. (Alos, Caja would not open and screenshot would not work.) When it restarted, tt that went into emergency mode and I had to type "exit" to continue boot. Now, when I try to shut down it gets stuck and says

Error getting authority! Error initializing authority! Could not connect: No such file or directory

Here is another crappy photo

Hi John,

are you still using Beta 1 or did you update to Beta 2?.

If you are using Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Beta 1 or 2, you most likely won't be able to get the network running in recovery mode due to the fact it is buggy and doesn't activate the network even when you select it in the recovery menu and that is using a network cable!.
(That may have changed recently as I have done several updates and have not used the recovery menu in a while!)

Anyway, try the following, boot into recovery mode and activate "Network" (using a network cable not WiFi) and then go to "root" and enter the following commands:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

then:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

You can also try this one too:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install -f

which may or may not fix a broken install!.

Restart with Ctrl + Alt + Del, do not click on resume!.

Another thing that I can think of, when you were updating; did you get asked to replace files but didn't?.

I know we have been through all of this before but its really all I have!. Your other option is to drop down to a stable version of Ubuntu Mate as your PC doesn't seem to like the dev version and upgrade when 15.04 goes stable!.

Does your PC have 2 CD/DVD drives?, if so, take them both out and check that the jumpers in 1 is set to "Master" and the other to "Slave", it is also important to check and see if one of them has the jumper in "CSel" (Cable Select) because if it is, that can cause random crashes on PC's!.

The only other thing I can think of is that you go into your system BIOS and reset it to factory default:

Hope it helps!. :smiley: