Faulty Mate on Laptop After Install

Hey guys. Im having issues with Mate 20.4 on my laptop. Its an Acer Aspire 5 with Ryzen 5 3000 series inside. I installed Mate today. Thing is its doesnt work as it should, 2/3 times I start the laptop it wont even boot and go to a black screen instead of the password screen. When I manage to boot it up it will freeze or not close or open windows when I clicked on them. The pc is fairly new (bought it a few months ago new) but has been giving my issues with every distro ive tried to install. Weird thing similar models came with ubuntu installed. During the installation when there was a file check it said 1 file had an error and keep on with the install. I checked the iso image and it was corrwctly signed, so Im guessing something is wrong with my pc and Linux but I dont know why. Secure boot is off

Hello nachet

If your hardware is very new, you may need a more recent kernel, in order to get your computer to work well.
If I were in your position I would run an experiment to try to confirm if it is most probably the kernel-version which is causing your problems. I would try out the "MX-19.2 x64 ahs, an Advanced Hardware Stack for very recent hardware " release of MX Linux [https://mxlinux.org/download-links/]. If it works any better it might help give clues as to what you need to do to get Ubuntu-Mate working the way it should. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi nachet,

does your computer model have "Optane"?, if it does, look in BIOS/UEFI and disable it if you can as that might be part of the problem?. :thinking:

Are your BIOS up to date?. :grinning:

I thought about that too. Since first time I tried to install Linux on it was some months ago I think 20.4 wasnt even out and I even couldnt get to install any distro cause it wouldnt even boot the install desktops, so now at least it seems to be a bit more compatible with my hardware. Also I forgot to mention when I turn on the pc it shows first the Acer logo (this is for bios access), then a grey screen pops up, then Acer logo again (weird) and then the Mate logo. Its really weird that it takes ages to load on this pc when I had it on an older laptop and it run smooth as butter. Ill try what you said and let you know

It doesnt have, and yeah bios is up to date. I looked onto the bios for things that may cause issues but everything sensible of it is disabled

Hello nachet

Have you seen this thread [https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/576278/running-linux-on-a515-43-r19l], specifically the post by "Gawain"? :slightly_smiling_face: