Finally got 16.10 to install but wont Boot from HDD + Oddities in LiveDVD

i finally decided to try getting MATE to run again seeing theres a new release. before i think i was trying to get 15.04 couldnt get anything but that Weird Acid trip like Display corruption, and decided to go back to Leopard.

well trying 16.10, it boots to LiveDVD!i get a good display too! or so i think…

things like Software Boutique or the Welcome Screen have thier titlebar… but a White screen. and for booting it seems everything installs Fine, untill i reboot and yaboot says that the default boot option has “Unknown or Corrupt Filesystem”. so i boot the dvd back up and open GParted. GParted shows one partition /dev/sda1 as Unknown (31.50KiB)
but the bootstrap @ /dev/sda2 is fine, the actual EXT4 FS @ sda3 is fine and so is the swap @ sda4. don’t know what i did wrong during installation as i let the installer do it via guided mode to erase and use entire disk. (2TB SATA HDD) :confused:

Progress is still Progress!, i just atm didnt feel like loosing anything on its original Drive (which is small @ 160GB anyway)and is why i used my spare 2TB Drive. (WD Green)

ohh i’m such a dunce forgot to add what system this is and i haveto also correct myself from the Previous post. the last topic i made i said this was the “DualCore” G5reinstalling Leopard when i had fouled something up and it kept flashing the ? folder. and looking it up from some model # i found on the mainboard to confirm its the Dual CPU 2GHZ G5.

Yep, that’s a known problem – it also causes the installation slides (Ubiquity) to not appear either.

any idea about the Booting issue? Could it be from using a 2TB SATAIII drive where i’ve heard the G5’s dont exactly seem to Like SATAIII Spec drives? or should i Partition it to 2 1TB Partitions?

Have you tried this ? https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/sol...tall-flashing-questionmark-g5-powermac/5782/5

I had to do this now working fine on my G5 (follow instructions EXACTLY). Good luck.

If using a SATA3 drive you need to change the jumpers (if the drive has them - if it doesn’t have jumpers to put it in SATA2 mode then it won’t work. (I know the Mac is SATA1 but it needs drives to be put in SATA2 mode manually even though the SATA3 drives say they automatically accept backwards SATA1/2 connections).