Focusrite 18i8 usb sound

Hi to the community here at Ubuntu-Mate I’ve got a problem well maybe 2 problems one that I’m new to Linux and the second is that I can’t get Mate 16.04 to recognise my usb focusrite 18i8 at all I’m using the focusrite because I was told it is instantly recognised in linux in general I can get what I want to do musically done for now with the onboard sound card but I want to explore a little more I’ve just about driven myself crackers reading this and that cure for my problem to no avail. Any help will be greatly appreciated.Many thanks in advance BOOHOO

Your usb interface may be recognised by ALSA as a hardware device, also in the Pulseaudio sound server.
Both of these are unlikely to be able to use all the input and output channels, but you might have enough for stereo capture and playback

Pulseaudio is great for consumer level audio things (like surround sound and bluetooth) but not pro-audio.
you don’t want to get rid of it though, some applications need it for sound

But this interface is intended for pro-audio use and needs to be used with another sound server:

Jack Audio Connection Kit

However, JACK is not already installed in Ubuntu Mate.
You will probably want to install a controller application for JACK
I use one called QjackCtl but there is another called Cadence

The JACK sound server is like a sound studio patchbay
and once you have JACK, Linux has many excellent professional audio applications that use it

It isn’t all instantly recognised, but it can be added and adjusted to your needs

Many thanks for your help jack & jack audio connection kit installed and Cadence setup and working like a treat now with the Focusrite 18i8 unit now to learn how to use some of the possibilities I’ve had handed to me. Many thanks again

1 Like