Full upgrade is not available

When I saw that 19.04 was available, I started the upgrade process. After I'd started it, I remembered I had a presentation in the morning and thought I'd better wait until after it was over. I hit cancel and didn't worry about it.

After that, I came back into it and it's telling me that it can only do a partial upgrade. One of the reasons for this seems to be that I canceled the update.

I tried running /usr/lib/ubuntu-release-upgrader/check-new-release-gtk
but it keeps telling me I need to run all updates for my installation before I do the upgrade. I don't seem to be able to get past it. I think it's finding the upgrade to 19.04 because I can't keep going.

Is there a way to reset the upgrade process to allow me get the installation started again?

If you run sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -s what does is spit out?
If it spits out a large number of packages then you need to you have a system that is half on Cosmic and half on Disco. Running sudo apt-get dist-upgrade should allow you to finish the upgrade.

Thank you. I ran the command "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade". It ran for 10-15 minutes. At the end, I got the message "Errors were encountered while processing linux-image- 5.0.0-13-generic. E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1). Then it dropped me back to the command prompt. Still no upgrade.

If you have other suggestions, I'm open to them. Otherwise, I think the best plan might be to just get the ISO for the new version and do a fresh install.

Thank you.

Backing up /home and reinstalling would work. You can use 'apt-mark showmanual' to show all of the manually installed packages.

There are a few options that I can think of doing but I wouldn't be comfortable explaining them online. I am more conservative with others stuff than mine own.

1 Like