Getting ready for HiDPI, more development

RIght now, I find that Ubuntu Mate is the best distro for photo and video editing on a 3840x2160 monitor. The scaling works rather well when adjusted at Control Center > Appearance > Fonts > Details > Resolution. At around 160 dpi the screen is usable, and you still get the advantage of the large resolution. Programs like Rawtherapee, Gimp, etc. have lots of details that you need to have in front of you accessible and visible.
Cinnamon and Gnome3 also offer the HiDPI possibility, but it is primitive; there are only two options, “too small” or “too large”.
A lot of development is needed here. Most programs in Mate scale rather well, but not all. For instance, Pluma does not get this at all. Also, the setting should be its own item in Control Center, I bet not many users will find the DPI setting without help.
The end user adjustable DPI setting is, however, simply better. Not all HiDPI monitors are the same, 3840x2160 is now maybe the most common for 27 inch, but 2560x1440 maybe better for 24 inch. And of course users have different preferences.
This is a good time for Mate developers to improve this option. The 1920x1080 monitors are now on sale in hardware stores, soon new computers will sell with HiDPI.

1 Like

I tried this in Ubuntu MATE 14.04 (MATE 1.8)
Everything works!

GTK 2 apps including Pluma, Pale Moon, MATE panel etc.
GTK 3 apps including Evolution, Firefox etc.
QT4 apps like VLC - scales the UI but videos are normal - just like it should be.
LibreOffice scales just like GTK 2/3.

Everything looks sharp and nice even my Emerald window-borders which can be adjusted manually. This blew my mind!!! Who would have known there is excellent support for HiDPI in MATE GTK2? Why didn’t they tell us about this? This was one of the big reasons for the GTK 3 push.