Gloobus preview in MATE with Caja?

Is there any way to get Gloobus working with Caja?

I’ve been on MATE for a few months now (loving it) and it’s the only thing I’m seriously missing…

Here’s an overview for the unfamiliar.

Thanks!

Looks like Gloobus only works for the Nautilus and Nemo file managers, so it's possible to switch to a different file manager if desired.

You'd be better off contacting the original developers and asking them to support Caja, since you wouldn't be the first asking for Caja support. This was one of the MATE members response:

"Gloobus Preview is a Gnome application"

The problem is that this application was developed specifically for GNOME.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s what it was seeming like. It’s funny though, in this comment they suggest contacting the Caja developers to implement it. Maybe it’s a GTK2 v. 3 thing?

It would be nice to have in Caja someday but I can use Nautilus in the meantime. Gloobus is a fantastic time-saving tool for a lot of things (I use it primarily for auditioning drum loops for Ardour or Mixbus and it’s a huuuuge convenience when working with media files in general).

1 Like

Gloobus is on the work list but requires changes in Caja. That said Caja does do a similar thing to Gloobus, select a file press Space and the “right thing” should happen.

LinuxMint has forked GNOME Sushi to work with modern versions of Nemo. They call it nemo-preview.

Do we have any alternative for Caja?

Theoretically GNOME Sushi may be installed by sudo apt-get install gnome-sushi gir1.2-gtksource-4 and then used with Caja by running
dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.gnome.NautilusPreviewer /org/gnome/NautilusPreviewer org.gnome.NautilusPreviewer.ShowFile string:"file:///path/to/file.type" int32:0 boolean:false
from Caja scripts, Caja-Actions or FileManager Actions, but this is not user-friendly...