Graphics card (Nvidia GT 1030) won't work on Lenovo PC/Ubuntu

Hi all

I've just bought myself a new Lenovo desktop PC (model LENOVO IdeaCentre 310s 08IGM) and im trying to install the latest LTS Ubuntu MATE along with my PCI-E Nvidia GT 1030.

Now, I've tried multiple installs... first issue i found was the installer wouldn't run unless i ran it in graphics safe mode which i found a bit strange as i never had this issue on my other older Levono desktop with the same graphics card ( lenovo model H30-00). Once i did this it all installed and rebooted and i got nothing on screen so I thought maybe its using onboard GFX, tried it and yep Ubuntu was using the onboard Intel graphics. Tried installing the Nvidia drivers and all i got was the same issue but with the Nvidia logo in the top right corner near the clock with the option to switch graphics... only the issue is, the only option to switch to was the intel graphics which i was already using?!

So i thought ok.. it's had a previous windows install so lets reset the CMOS for a fresh start and also check the PCI-E is set to primary GFX in the BIOS and try again. I did this but there is no option for the graphics... it just has "auto" I tried installing again and now i get errors relating to the third party drivers install this is the link i get when the report is subbmitted

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/glibc/+bug/1871268

Now, if i can manage to make it install all i get now is the LENOVO BIOS screen after the initial grey Ubuntu boot screen and the intel graphics now does nothing.

Please help? I don't really want to send the machine back as I've invested in more RAM and all sorts for it which will be annoying to send back but this is pretty much where I'm at now.

I have now installed Ubuntu MATE on just the intel GPU by removing the Nvidia card. it's working perfectly and is super fast compared to my old PC.

I do need my Nvidia GT 1030 though so how can i add this? Can anyone help?

Edit: I've just tried to install my GT 1030 and as expected.. i get an initial grey boot screen, it goes black briefly after a short space of time and then grey boot screen again although i can tell it is infact in the OS as if i press the power button the power off prompt sound goes off.

Intel display is disabled, no output comes from it unless i unplug my PCI-E card...

Edit 2: I tried Ubuntu MATE 18 LTS and it does the exact same thing. What on earth is going on? Someone please help?? This machine is so lovely and fast compared to my old one i don't want to send it back ideally but i really need my graphics card in it.

Someone, please?

Perhaps this will help -

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-the-nvidia-drivers-on-ubuntu-20-04-focal-fossa-linux

Good luck lenovoissues.

I can't get to my GUI using the Nvidia card and the one time i did manage to install the driver via the additional drivers it either worked but i only had a little Nvidia logo in the top right with the option to switch to Intel graphics even though that was what i was already using. Nvidia card was greyed out.

Last time i tried it just came up with an error during the driver install and now it isn't even possible as i can't access the GUI.

It's not a driver install issue so much as it's appears to be Ubuntu won't stop using the Intel GPU because when the Nvidia card is installed it's acting like it's a second screen but it only displays the grey boot screen or any dialog messages prior to booting the OS. I had this issue originally but could use the Intel port to see whats going on and install drivers. Since resetting the BIOS i can't even do that now. The Intel GPU seems to still be in use yet it's disabled even from the BIOS when booting there is no display what so ever but Ubuntu is still acting the same way.

The machine pretty much a laptop in a desktop with a PCI-E slot so it seems like it has that Hybrid graphics stuff to power save or perform fast but in this case it's causing trouble.

Any ideas? I have today and probably tomorrow before i will have to send the machine back which i don't want to do as its so fast compared to my older Lenovo which has never had this issue and is basically the same machine (little pentium SOC, laptop in a PC case, external mains power etc) but an older one.

Ok I've managed to get to my desktop finally using my Nvidia card by setting the nomodeset option in grub BUT if i install the Nvidia drivers i get what i had before the BIOS logo displayed only and the OS has booted as i can hear sounds.

Do i need to install the drivers and then set nomodeset again in grub?? Or is there an issue with the drivers?

I don't know.

My suspicion is that whatever driver you are attempting to use is not working but I have no personal experience with your graphics card - and in fact generally refuse to dance around trying to get Nvidia stuff working.

Hopefully someone else with the knowledge you need will chime in.