Graphics driver - video resolution problem. My screen size is too big for my monitor

Hello all!
I'm having some problems with my screen resolution. I recently changed my graphics driver, so its a driver issue, i guess. As you can see on the image, on the right side, the scroll bar it's not complete. It is not showing all the screen image as it should be.

Is there a way that i can fix this?

Thanks!

I have found something on the main Ubuntu forums that may help you with your problem. It covers xrandr and also adjusting frequency settings, which apparently will move the display around on your monitor.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1551244

Actually, I have just been messing around with my own monitor setting to see if I could reproduce your problem, and I could.

My initial settings were 1360768 and the display was correct on the monitor. I then changed it to 1366768 and this happened:

So this suggests you simply need to choose another slightly different resolution.

I have run the following commands, as it said on the link you passed me @stevecook172001:

xrandr --newmode "1360x768_60.00"   84.75  1360 1432 1568 1776  768 771 781 798 -hsync +vsync &&
xrandr --addmode VGA-1 1360x768_60.00 &&
xrandr --output VGA-1  --mode 1360x768_60.00

…but I can’t figure out if this has changed something in my system. My resolution stays the same.
Also, the example that was shown on the link that you gave me I think that it wasn’t for a traditional Ubuntu system. At some part they use ‘gksudo’ instead of ‘sudo’ to edit a configuration file that doesn’t exists on my Mate.
How did you run it?

Also, i don’t know if the resolution is the problem because with the old driver my resolution was the same as now and it was perfect.
I’ve run inxi -G command after and before of changing my driver and this is what i got:

—BEFORE CHANGING DRIVER—

iGraphics:  Card: VIA CN896/VN896/P4M900 [Chrome 9 HC]
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: fbdev (unloaded: vesa) Resolution: [email protected]
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.8, 128 bits) GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0

—AFTER CHANGING DRIVER—

Graphics:  Card: VIA CN896/VN896/P4M900 [Chrome 9 HC]
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: openchrome (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: [email protected]
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.8, 128 bits) GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0

As you can see, my resolution did not change, just the frequency.

You can't change your display Refresh Rate? (menu System/Preferences/Hardware/Display)

You say you changed your graphics driver. Presumably, this means you changed your GPU, yes? That being the case, there must be something about your new driver/GPU that does not communicate with your monitor in the same way., Thus, the simplest solution might be to just change the resolution. Or, at least try this out and see if it fixes it. Then, of course, you would need to decide whether or not you could tolerate the new resolution. If so, your problem would be solved. Only if not, would you need to set out off down the rabbit hole.

I’ve already try it. It only has the 60hz option

Does your monitor have a menu with “Auto Adjust” button by any chance?

Yes, it has. But does not solve my problem.

Hi @stevecook172001.
I did not change my graphics card. I have an onboard chip. I just had changed my driver because I had some problems with the driver installed by default with Ubuntu-Mate. Now that problem is solved.
Now that you mentioned changing my resolution to a smaller one, I’ve had noticed something weird when I’m trying to change it: It does not matter if I change my resolution via xrandr or thru GUI window, my resolution never changes… always stays the same. I log out and log in, I reboot my machine but never changes my screen resolution. I had tried to use 1024x720 configuration thru terminal and GUI but always stays at 1366x768.

Hi, everyone. I am using UbMATE for raspberry Pi and have a similar problem. Years ago, when Ubuntu was on X11 and without systemD, Wayland, etc., things were better. I cannot change (reduce) the resolution of the image in the screen. So I can only use my Pi with HD TV or good/newer projectors (data-show kind). I need it to work in a lesser resolution so I can work with other monitors and data-show projectors.
Which is the easiest way to configure that? Is there an app? The control panel does not allow me to change resolution. The screen properties neither. It is locked as it is.
Thanks.