GTX 970 and screen tearing

Hello

I have tried few distros based on Debian already and multiple GUIs like KDE, Gnome etc.
Problem is i am getting screen tearing with most of them (for example when scrolling website).
Some of them also work good , like Cinnamon GUI, but i would like to switch to Ubuntu Mate.

My graphic card is Nvidia GTX 970, i have tried drivers from Nvidia website and software drivers from panel.

Any idea how to fix it?

Thank you

Are you using Marco or Compiz as the window manager?
(Can be set in System → Preferences → Look & Feel → MATE Tweak)

Try switching to Compiz, which uses the GPU to draw windows, whereas Marco is CPU-driven.

In the Compiz Config Settings Manager (compizconfig-settings-manager), under the “Composite” plugin, you could set the refresh rate to 60 - by default, Ubuntu MATE’s profile has this set to 50.

If Compiz isn’t enough, then try adding these extra lines to /etc/X11/xorg.conf inside Section "Screen" :

Option "TripleBuffer" "True" Option "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"

I’d also recommend sticking to Ubuntu’s own NVIDIA driver PPA too, to avoid issues later if you have the binary driver installed on its own:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt-get update

Then open Additional Drivers to choose the latest drivers that automatically stay up-to-date.

NVIDIA GTX 960 here, I have felt that pain of screen tearing too. :confounded:

2 Likes