HDMI on RPi UbuntuMATE

I was dealing with this exact same issue and then I just now figured it out. Turns out my ignorance was the problem. I was operating under the assumption that the config.txt file was already formated in such a way that all of the lines were being used. I assumed that ## ment the line was commented away and # (only one hash) meant that the line was being used. To make it work I had to remove the single # entirely! Then the audio worked after a reboot. It only took uncommenting the one line hdmi_drive=2. I am sure no one else made such a silly mistake but I thought I would share to help any other noobies out there (like myself :slight_smile: ). Good luck everyone!

1 Like

Just chiming in here that Iā€™m having the same issue. I can see video (in fact am using the OpenGL Driver, so video is quite good and fills the TV nicely) but despite that I do not see any setting in the sound manager for the HDMI and the display manager\monitor applet doesnā€™t seem to detect anything beyond the Rpi3 being connected to the TV.

Any idea why this might be? Seems like a really common problem with lots of people posting the same solutionsā€“which would be great if they made a difference. Unfortunately they donā€™t seem to. Starting to wonder if I should do a fresh install and this time try to fix things via the config.txt before making any updates or using the OpenGL driver (even if this means suffering the bars around the screen until things have been worked out.) Iā€™ve noticed in the past that sometimes configuration needs to be done in a certain order or the changes donā€™t seem to stick on the x86\x64 side of thingsā€¦

I also had a long time the same problemā€¦
Thanks @weyandd, I never that the config.txt would be the problem.

So I just delated the ā€˜#ā€™ in the config.txt which is located in /boot
After a reboot everything works great over HDMI.

Hi all, ive too had the same problem running rpi3 with Ubuntu Mate 16.04, had no sound even through analog output connected to a lil ampā€¦ But with no fuss i went to config.txt in the terminal and uncomented (deleted the hash #) in front of the ā€œ2 Normal HDMI mode (sound will be sent if supported and enabled)ā€ and in front of the ā€œhdmi_drive=2ā€ and rebootedā€¦ Done, all sound comes through to the tv. In the sound options it doesnā€™t show any hdmi option, even after modding the config.txt fileā€¦ But still it worksā€¦ Please note: the ā€œnormal HDMI modeā€ has 2 hashtags ## in front of the line, you MUST remove both aswell as the one # infront of ā€œhdmi_drive=2ā€. Hope this might help someone.

Wolfman,in this diagram right here it shows the driver as the GF108. I looked that up and its an NVidia driver. Is this the sound settings for your computer or a Raspi?

Could anyone that has HDMI as a sound option post a screenshot of what he output and hardware tabs of their sound settings looks like? Thank you.

I use the HDMI for sound, but am connected through a HDMI to VGA connector which offers a sound output with a headphones socket.
I have the config.txt configured to force audio via HDMI (whether the EDID says sound an option or not).
The sound in Ub-Mate is shown as analog using the BCM2835 (numbers wrong here?).
I cannot at the moment show pics of this
HTH
Derek

Hey. I need help too. Iā€™m using UMate with a Pi3 and editing config.txt uncommenting hdmi_drive=2 gives no result, except making any hardware entries in sound prefs vanish. Anyone got this to work? Iā€™m using version 16.04