Help Requested: Intel !915 integrated graphics in 16.04 LTS

The last kernel to support the above-referenced graphics was 4.2.x (or maybe 4.3.x) in 14.04. It would be really appreciated if the 4.4.x series (or above) in 16.04 could be made to do so, or if an updated Intel driver were to be made available so that all of us with computers using these integrated graphics could update to the new LTS. I refer to the Intel core ¡5 2310 cpu @ 2.9 GHz x 4, with Intel Sandybridge desktop graphics (64-bit). I (we) can use 15.10 with no issues, but in view of the limited future support of that release, we need a new solution. I resolved my issue temporarily by switching to the MX-15 Fusion distro, but I would prefer to stay with the current Ubuntu or a flavor thereof.

Hi
I don’t really understand what you mean:
I’m using i915 right now on an Intel notebook running Ubuntu MATE 16.04 LTS.

ouroumov@Edge:~/Desktop$ lshw -C display
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
  *-display               
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: Intel Corporation
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 2
       bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
       version: 21
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
       resources: irq:119 memory:80000000-80ffffff memory:90000000-9fffffff ioport:f000(size=64)
WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.

The problem is that on 16.04 my native resolution of 1920x1080 is not displayed nor can it be selected. It shows up but cannot be selected. Here is the output you requested:

sudo lshw -C display
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 09
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:37 memory:fe000000-fe3fffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff ioport:f000(size=64)

Hi @supusr,

the best drivers are installed on my Intel notebook and I have a high res!, how did you create your boot media and did you follow this advice?:

Have you done a full system update?:

I assume you are an advanced user but you never know!. :smiley:

I consider myself intermediate, but did verify my .iso downloads and did perform full updates upon installation.

@supusr so it’s more a resolution problem than a driver problem.
In that case check out xrandr.

1 Like

Also try running the following commands:

sudo apt-get --fix-missing install

The above command downloads and installs any missing packages on your system.

sudo apt-get --fix-broken install

The above command downloads and installs any broken dependencies on your system.

Thanks for the interest. I had viewed this material before, ouroumov, but did not find anything there of use in my particular case. I did not know about the commands you suggest, wolfman, and will try to reinstall and then use these commands tomorrow. Thanks to you both.

1 Like