Help With re-Setting Network

ISSUE:
I had a working Ubu/Mate laptop working fine. The I fixed it :slight_smile:

1. I changed Linux DNS settings as per instructions at http://1.1.1.1/dns/ but the "APPLY" button greys out.

Now there is no network, and changing it all to Automatic still has no network.

1. I've rebooted after changes. Checked cables, and Windoze on another comp has network/'net access.

2. My ISPs latest Non-name brand router/modem lo longer permits changing the DNS on the modem/router - changed it on my Ubu box, not the ISPs modem/router.

TIA
~i~

What is your Ubuntu Mate version, please?

I am afraid that my Ubuntu Mate 18.04 does not have 'Apply' button in the network configuration dialogue. And the proper way to invoke that dialogue is to traverse menu System > Prefereneces > Internet and Network > Network Connections in the upper panel, select a connection to configure and press the button with gear to edit the connection.

There is no 'Automatic' switch for DNS in the mentioned network configuration dialogue. There are two methods: 'Automatic (DHCP)' applies to IP Address and DNS and 'Automatic (DHCP) addresses only' does not apply to DNS and it can be entered manually.

Most probably you have to select 'Automatic (DHCP)' method to restore your network settings. I can not be sure though, for I have no idea about your original network settings.

Finally, you can verify actual network configuration in the command line by issuing commands
ifconfig to find out configured IP address
nslookup abc to find out configured dns server

Ubuntu / Mate 18.04.3 LTS