How can I get a 'better' menu in Ubuntu MATE 15.04?

Hi, I’m new to Ubuntu MATE and I’m not satisfied with the menu.

I’ve switched the default menu from “MATE Desktop” to “Redmond with MATE Menu” in MATE Tweak and I like the menu better, but it still has some problems I don’t like. Specifically, when I search and press enter, a search application opens instead of opening the app.

I wanted to install Mintmenu and found several tutorials, but none of them seem to work in 15.04.

How can I replace the stock menu with something different?

Also, another problem: I want to pin multiple apps to my menu bar, but they aren’t snapped when I drag them in, and it’s slow to drag and drop each one. How can I pin my apps faster and more consistently?

I wanted to install Mintmenu and found several tutorials, but none of them seem to work in 15.04.

How can I replace the stock menu with something different?

Mintmenu has been forked as MATE Menu by this project and is an option in the "Add to panel" menu.

Also, another problem: I want to pin multiple apps to my menu bar, but
they aren't snapped when I drag them in, and it's slow to drag and drop
each one. How can I pin my apps faster and more consistently?

I'm assuming you want shortcuts on the top panel. Right click on the menu entry for the application and click "Add to panel". This will add shortcuts to the top panel.

I just opened ‘Add to Panel’ and when I select mintMenu and click add, nothing happens.

The button is slightly greyed out, but not as completely as the ‘Back’ option.

It's named "MATE Menu"

Have you updated since you installed? MateMenu should not be grayed out.

The Matemenu would work well for me if it worked exactly like the Mintmenu i.e. it was or had the option to be a quick launcher rather than a search tool. It seems to be somewhere between the standard Mate menu and Alt-F2 in it’s functioning. With the Mintmenu typing the first few characters of an application name would bring it to the top of the list then hitting return would launch it all from the keyboard. No typing a few characters then using the mouse to select.

I don’t know if this would be possible to have as an option in the Matemenu sometime?

I got MintMenu and MateMenu working, and they’re an improvement, but it’s still not what I’m looking for. Are there any alternatives?

Completely with you. The stock menu is really bad; I’d like frequently used applications, search, etc.