How do I delete Amazon stalker?

Finally have Ubuntu/Mate installed - wohoo!

I removed the Amazon link from the side bar.
If I look in Ubuntu Software, it's not there. But it shows up when clicking the 9 dots bottom left "Show Applications", and works from there.

Just in case - I did search Duck and alas Google too but no answers there.

Can't wait to dump Win Stalker 10. Windows - wide open. Ubuntu comes with locked doors and it's own drapes :slight_smile:

Well, Ubuntu MATE certainly does not have Amazon shortcuts installed. :slight_smile:

On regular Ubuntu, it is just a "web app" shortcut. Uninstall the ubuntu-web-launchers package.

1 Like

Well, it seems that on a clean fresh new install of Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS certainly does have Amazon shortcuts ":slight_smile:"

. Try looking at a install as I described it. When clicking the Amazon icon, 49 seconds later Amazon web site opens.
Screenshot%20from%202019-10-30%2009-41-42

I feel let down and disappointed - not at all what I expected but I guess at some time or other, when enough people are on board with any 'wares, the price goes up - sometimes the cost is privacy - something government, corporations, sites, and most 'wares place no value on and freely abuse it.

If this -stuff- was installed without the help of Ubuntu Mate (as you legion it), then it's an amazing feat how Amazon was able to circumvent Ubuntu and do as they please.

EOD

~☣~

The Amazon launcher has been preinstalled in Ubuntu for years, but it literally just acts as a shortcut now. Likely Canonical set up a affiliate link with Amazon so they can take a cut, apparently as a lot of Ubuntu users were also Amazon shoppers. :moneybag: Order placed through link → income for Canonical → helps Ubuntu grow.

Previously (around 14.04) it has had its controversy with the Unity dash sending search terms to Canonical.

The script behind it only uses your location (or country) to figure out which Amazon site to open. You can see for yourself:

cat /usr/share/ubuntu-web-launchers/amazon-launcher

Listing this package's files doesn't contain any more - just Amazon:

dpkg-query -L ubuntu-web-launchers

But installing Ubuntu MATE (and not Ubuntu + MATE on top) doesn't include this Amazon shortcut. If anything, it only has the optional telemetry that you are prompted to send in :ubuntu_mate: Welcome after a fresh install, which provides this:

3 Likes

and here I was working on a great review/reply to @ Aegir81 posting at New user's first impressions praising the switch to a privacy-respecting O/S.

Guess I was expecting too much.

As for how it got on here is that I just followed Ubuntu links to install the download and instructions from the Ubu site.
Remember, not everyone is a Ubu guru! I am trying Ubuntu to see if I can use a computer without all the peeps and pervs SMRCing everything I do. It's all about making money; how doesn't matter any more does it.

Thanks anyway. I'll look for that other installer and wipe the drive again and see if any more peeps and pervs show up - if any.

How about a Paid version of Ubuntu - by paying X dollars, a version that IS truly stalker-free. Why not? I mean, people pay Microsoft for an O/S to invade our privacy, why not pay to protect it?

just say'n s'all
:disappointed:

Ubuntu isn't on a mission to invade privacy.

The aforementioned telemetry is a Send and Don't Send button if you'd like to optionally send statistics of how your installation went and some of your system's specs. That's to help developers and the community understand where to focus their efforts.

If you're concerned, you can see exactly what it's about to send.

This Amazon button also did nothing unless you clicked on it. Opening Amazon took you to their website, and only then could Amazon start tracking your moves -- they are keen to know your interests so you buy more products!

Since you've confused Ubuntu and Ubuntu MATE, please take a look here to know what this flavour of Ubuntu and community is all about:

Your concerns for privacy should be focused towards the web browser -- here's some old topics that may be of interest:

3 Likes

Why is that when people think they are answering a question, feel that the person they are writing to just turned on their first computer?

That rhetorical question is a bit uncalled for.

There's a lot of information here that would be useful for you (and anyone else) to know. Take or leave as you please. All of us are here voluntarily.

3 Likes

Sorry - I won't criticize and will refrain from having any opinions. Mums the word - OK?

~i~
WARNING: Anything we say can and will be taken out of context and used again us in the courts of Social Media. .