How to Customize Panel Date Time display at Ubuntu Mate?

Hi, I need to change date time format to :
%a %H:%M %m/%d/%Y

What should I do?

I have already try use dconf at /org/mate/panel/objects/clock/prefs, but the clock format at panel still does not change. Or maybe wrong location because the clock format at panel not change.

Thank you in advance

As far as I know the date time display in the panel follows the language settings from “Language Support” => “Regional Formats”.

1 Like

You can manually adjust the applet’s dconf settings via dconf-editor. This forum post covers it.

4 Likes

Yes it work :slight_smile:

Step 1:
So, I miss to manually change dconf at dconf at /org/mate/panel/objects/clock/prefs/ format from 24 hours to custom

Step 2:
Than change it dconf at /org/mate/panel/objects/clock/prefs/ custom-format to %a %H:%M %m/%d/%Y

and the result to panel clock: format change immediately after I press enter at dconf custom-format

Thank you very much :innocent:

3 Likes

no it doesn't work for me, there is no menu in dconf like org / mate / panel / objects / clock / prefs /
where which file contains settings because i couldn't find it either ...?
and what to rewrite there?

It depends on the Ubuntu MATE version you have installed...
For Ubuntu MATE 20.10 you have to search for org/ayatana/indicator/datetime in dconf:

Thanks. It helped to find a solution.

you can still (as of 20.10) override the timestamp format for each Clock applet by adding/modifying these keys in dconf:

/org/mate/panel/objects/xxxx/prefs/format = 'custom'
/org/mate/panel/objects/xxxx/prefs/custom-format = '%a %Y-%m-%d%nwk%V %H:%M:%S' (or whatever you like, %n = newline)

where xxx is the applets ID found by:
dconf dump /org/mate/panel/objects/ | less
→ find: ClockAppletFactory::ClockApplet

Format variables are the same as: https://www.php.net/strftime
you can style the text with: https://developer.gnome.org/pygtk/stable/pango-markup-language.html

1 Like

Just gone through this with 21.10.

This works for me:

Dbconf editor:
org/ayatana/indicator/datetime/time-format

Disable default value (slider)
Custom value button:
click button to change '12-hour'

HTH.

Cheers ~S.O