How to diagnose a freeze NOOB

I have a fresh install of ubuntu mate 15.04 fully updated. Right now it’s vanilla. The issue is that if I leave the system on overnight it just freezes. I know the machine is ok so how do I find out what the problem is? I am coming from Win 7 incidentally the machine is it on ran win 7 perfectly for 3 years I formatted the drive and installed Ubuntu.

Hi,

set your software sources download location to “Main server” per the update guide and run updates again, it might fix the problem for you?:

hey wolfman
thanks for the guidance but my question was How do i diagnose the problem? i dont know where to start there has to be some message somewhere complaining about something

wolfman [email protected] wrote:

Logs may have recorded some events prior to the crash, check out these files as a start:

• System log - /var/log/syslog.1
  • Display server (X.org) = /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old
  • Kernel log = /var/log/kern.log

If a specific program caused the system to crash, apport may appear when you log in to inform you of the error and whether to send a bug report.

Entire system freezes like this may be caused by problematic hardware or software that isn’t communicating with the hardware properly. Do you have any additional drivers available? (System → Preferences → Hardware → Additional Drivers)

thanks so much for the helpl lah7 really helps alot, I am also looking at checking out systemd to diagnose these things. This is all new to me and your, and wolfman’s help, is great. Thanks so much