How to get channel 4 working

Hi wolfman. Yep, I use that as its solid as a rock. Trouble is, it doesn’t have 4od. so you can only watch live.

Also I should add, after 24 hours of using my Playonlinux Firefox version, I have to admit to it proving to be a bit flaky. It works about 70% of the time and 30% of the time it throws a wobbly. So, not good enough really. I have gone for a virtual machine with Win7 and watching it from in there at the moment.

This is the one thing that always gets me down about Linux. Just as you think you’ve solved all of the problems, another set come out to play. But, even worse, some of the old ones make a reappearance as well. I know this is not necessarily Linux devs’ fault as the media providers keep moving the goalposts, presumably, and don’t communicate with Linux about these changes as well as they might. But, it doesn’t really help to know that.

Hi Steve,

have you tried using Kodi?. :smiley: There is a chance that it will work for you as you are in the UK!. :thumbsup:

Is Kodi and entire media oriented OS? If it is, then it is of no use to me since i use my Os for lots of things.

You can run Kodi within Ubuntu Mate no problem, it is just another app!. :smiley:

I actually don't have it set up in Ubuntu Mate yet but it works!:

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_for_Linux

I ran the stand alone version for a short while. Thought it was a nice setup, but resource demanding. Not something I wanted in a vm.

Had you ever thought of using Pipelight? It still involves Wine, but Pipelight was created to give a Linux-native solution to using certain plugins within web browsers, instead of needing to Wine your entire browsing session.

Except, instead of enabling silverlight, enable Shockwave;

sudo pipelight-plugin --unlock shockwave
sudo pipelight-plugin --enable shockwave

Yes, I’ve just installed the standalone. It just seems like a load of ribbons and bows to play a stream. I just want to be able to click on a web launcher and load the damn thing.

1 Like

Tiox, does this solve the specific problem with channel 4?

I forgot to mention, did you try flash gtk?. I’m on my smart phone at the mo but look in Synaptic! :smile:

does flash GTK solve the issue with channel 4?

If Channel 4 is freely accessible, I’ll try getting it to work “Natively” a crack.

Welp, this is how far I got;

After installing pipelight, I choose to do this with the browser open;
sudo pipelight-plugin --enable flash

After letting Wine do its thing and exiting the browser, I did sudo pipelight-plugin --create-mozilla-plugins and deleted pluginreg.dat as I had specified prior, then after opening the browser again and checking with about:plugins to make sure Pipelight’s Flash was enabled, I had the option on Channel 4’s website to play content, but said content did not work.

But hey, progress right?

Hi Steve,

I had some problems with flash in FireFox and installed the GTK GUI version and it solved the problem for me!:

sudo apt-get install adobe-flash-properties-gtk

There is only one way to find out!. :smiley:

Have a look here

It’s only one step off of what you are doing

Chris

2 Likes

Not only channel 4, but there are game sites that cannot run on the older flash. This could also be a fix.

So basically you’re saying I shouldn’t be using the native version of Firefox and use Firefox for Windows? If so, that’s a load of bullocks IMO.

If not, then explain; what’s the missing piece for what I’m doing in regard to using native Firefox to watch Channel 4?

When did I refer to you? - Do you have two usernames on this forum? - Are you in fact @stevecook172001 - I was replying to the OP, not to you.

I have no interest in your “opinion”, and you have no idea what my opinion on this is… I pointed the OP to a link detailing someone else’s opinion/fix.

(Apologies if English isn’t your native language, but: I would politely advise you to read your posts before actually clicking the post button - the tone could easily be misconstrued as aggressive, which of course cannot be the case. I will not post any further replies in this thread)

My apologies; Discourse didn’t show you were responding to Steve directly. That or I am stupid and should plainly be schooled about how to use Discourse.

I am trying to be helpful with figuring out a native browser solution, because it’s not just him who would be interested in this.

Apology accepted :wink:

Actually, it appears that either the forum software, or myself has failed to show that I replied to the OP… not sure why - I clicked the “reply” button on the post, as I’ve just done with your post, so I may well have contributed to your confusion about who I was replying to (I’d much rather blame the forum software though :wink: )

Chris

Since the topic is discussing different solutions to the problem:

• Natively
  • Media player alternates (e.g. Kodi)
  • Pipelight / Adobe Flash
  • Running under Wine

I suggest creating separate topics using the “Reply as linked topics” on the right.

Discourse doesn’t show the “in reply to” arrow if you’re directly replying after the last post, I have noticed.

1 Like