How to install GIMP?

As I am pretty new and beginner with Ubuntu Mate I feel completely prehistoric in the field of downloading.
I have tried to download - in order to activate - the GIMP images processor but unfortunately did not manage.
Would it please possible to you to let me know exactly step by step out of scratch how to proceed to successfully install GIMP on my Ubuntu Mate? Or tell me where exactly in a handbook I can find the procedure for a beginner?
Sorry for this disturbance in your personal time sheet. But help would be very appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.
All the best to you.
HansTrapp

Hi, welcome to the community! I’ve moved your post from Software Boutique and add-ons to a new topic so the wider community can assist you.

Installing GIMP is actually as simple as opening the Software Boutique, you can find this in the System → Administration menu. The icon looks like a coat hanger.

Once inside, choose the Graphics category (its icon is a paint brush) and then scroll down until you see GIMP or GNU Image Maniuplation Program. Clicking Install will add this application to your system along with a collection of additional plug-ins.

Once installed, it will appear in your Applications menu from the upper-left of the screen in the Graphics section.

Let us know if you need any help!

1 Like

To do things straightforward, on the top bar of the desk, click on:
System, then Welcome then a window open, wait for the animation finish..., then click the button Software, then click the fourth icon on top of the window, (Graphic), scroll down to Gimp and click the button Install, then....

Here it starts to be weird...

You NEED to click on the Bulk Queue, (if not you can wait for years as nothing will happen...)

Bulk Queue is in the red circle on the screenshot, then a new page open search the button Apply changes click on it et it will finally start to download ask your password and install...

Yep the last 2 parts are weird... as we expect when we click on the install button it should... install... but it does not...

If bulk queue is enabled (maybe disable it by default?) it would be good to have the button text change to something like “Queue for installation” instead.

1 Like

YES, that’s an excellent idea! And instead of the actual icon for the queue, a button written: “Install the Queue” or something similar. Because actually, this icon does not mean “Queue” for me, but more like “Past” or “Document”.

It was the “Welcome” window which bonds me to Ubuntu-MATE a year ago, but from a few months now, I don’t open it anymore as I found it become more cluttered with each update, and the animations became far too long for a regular use.

IMO “Welcome” is loosing is its main purpose (especially for a first time beginner) by adding options and more things at each update.

Maybe get back to the simplicity like it was a year ago but add just a button for “More things to do” or “more advanced options” and open a “Welcome 2”?

Honestly, I’m a beginner too, but there’s going to be one day that we learn console commands, and we might as well learn a little now.
the most straightforward way to do this is to open up the console (ctrl + shift + t)
and then typing:
sudo apt-get install gimp
no need to bother around with the welcome centre, this way is just faster

1 Like

Install Synaptic Package Manager.

Way better and more features. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The behaviour of this has already changed in the next major version of Software Boutique (not released yet). It will queue up, but start working through the list right away.

Good point, it is enabled by default (providing it is the latest version).

History for anyone interested – Bulk queue was put in because the original behaviour was literally installing/removing straight away… which became a problem when a user wanted to install a lot in one go.

To address @HansTrapp’s original question – there are many ways to install GIMP :slight_smile: