How to speed up Ubuntu in RPi3?

Hi all!
I’m using Ubuntu Mate on my RPi3 for quite some time now and I’ve noticed that it’s not the smoothest of experiences. Don’t get me wrong, I knew what I was getting myself into, it’s just that I don’t know if I can actually do something to speed up the work of Ubuntu. I need to boot up the RPi several minutes before I even start using it because it works way better when I give it some time to “warm up”. I’ve installed Preload but I’m not sure if it did anything. Chromium is broken on the RPi beyond belief so don’t even tell me to install it (I tried countless methods it always works for about a week, then it crashes). Are there any good methods of speeding up Mate’s processes on the Pi?

Hi !
That is some tricks than can help :

• install lubuntu instead of Ubuntu mate, lubuntu need less resources (I love Ubuntu mate but if you want more speed I think lubuntu is a good option)
  • install it on USB drive with a swap partition with or without sdcard if you have a rpi3
  • enable beta opengl driver
  • for chromium canonical is working to resolve the crash bug so I hope it will work out the box soon. By the way raspberry pi foundation is working on a Hardware video acceleration decoding for chromium too :slight_smile:

Everything I have read thus far on here and elsewhere vis a vis any Linux-distro tells me the Pi is not really up to the job. Not for anything resembling a proper working daily desktop, at least. I am happy to be put right on that, but that is my impression.

Hi !
I use it like my second desktop station and use it all days, but I has said it needs some tuning :slight_smile:

1 Like

On the contrary, it does an amazing job when it finally “warms up”, especially that I don’t need that much of a speed. I only browse the internet and translate documents on it, and I needed a tiny computer just for that. I’m satisfied but - like I said - the experience could be improved.

Is it as Windows compatible as Mate?

How fast is your MicroSD card?

The lag time on mine was so bad they were unusable and everything (even Firefox) kept crashing. Then I was told to replace the MicroSD cards with the fastest ones I could find. I think the write times are in the 85-90Mb/s range. Anyway, they now fully boot in under a minute and Firefox works flawlessly. Only issue left is Chromium doesn’t work so I’m left with one browser (which so far hasn’t been an issue).

I’m now using two at my office as browser workstations for when sales people come in without their laptop and need to work. Like them enough I have since picked up a third so I can evaluating what other tasks in my business can be moved off of Windows.

So I have a class 10 SD card but Ubuntu Mate is still very slow, given what I have seen so far it is not going to be useable, so I to am looking for a few tweeks to make it better.