I can not install Ubuntu-Mate 20.04 on my PC

Hello, everybody)

I downloaded from the site http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-mate/releases/20.04/release/ubuntu-mate-20.04-desktop-amd64.iso.

I recorded a DVD and inserted it into a laptop, booted, installed. Everything seems normal.

But when I tried to boot from this DVD on the main PC, nothing came of it. After 30 seconds, the screen goes blank and nothing happens.

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor × 16
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
Display 27" 4K It is connected to the video card with HDMI cable.

The DVD disk with Ubuntu 16.04 starts up and everything is in order.

Please, advise, how to install Ubuntu-Mate on the main PC.
May be, I wait for August when the 20.04.1 comes out?

I thank everyone who responded.

Hi pol111,

did you notice any messages on the screen before it goes blank?.

If push comes to shove, install 18.04 and then upgrade that to 20.04, a long winded way of doing it but it might work assuming you can install 18.04 no problem. :grinning:

Hello Pavel

Question:
Did you remember to set the BIOS-settings on your desktop computer to "boot from DVD"?

The question sounds trivial, but you did not provide many details of exactly what you did. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi wolfman)
Thanks for the answer. I hope a more stable version of MATE comes out in August

1 Like

Hi alpinejohn,
Thanks for the answer.
I went through the procedure of installing UBUNTU MATE on a laptop. Everything went great there. Don't worry, I pressed f8 when starting up my PC and chose "boot from dvd". And I forgot to say that MATE checks the DVD disc. This can be seen from the long blinking LED on the DVD drive. But the monitor goes out for some reason.

As I wrote earlier, UBUNTU 16.04 DO NOT MATE starts perfectly. The screen works. Why doesn't a more modern version of MATE want to work?

Hello Pavel

I suggest you try putting the ISO on to a clean usb-stick and try booting from that - just in case your DVD-drive is the problem.
May I also suggest that you try to do a UEFI installation if you have just tried to do a BIOS one. I had to do a UEFI installation with 20.04. :thinking: - BIOS just did not want to work for me.

1 Like

Hello alpinejohn :slight_smile:
Okay, let's wait for the release of version 20.04.1.
I believe that the DVD drive is working properly, since Ubuntu 16.04 and Ubuntu 18.04 start well. The transition to Ubuntu Mate from Ubuntu 16.04 will be for the first time. Earlier, I ran MATE in a virtual machine. :slight_smile: