I love Ubuntu Mate, but I have some issues with the UI

Hi, Iv'e switched to Ubuntu Mate 4 months ago, and I'm so happy with it, but since I'm a professional UX designer myself, forgive me if I can't ignore few "minor bugs"...

I have weird bugs with Compiz (I think) and even without it, I'll try to describe them:

1. When Compiz is enabled, I get double window controls on FireFox and Chromium, it was fine at the beginning, but on Maximize / Minimize that's what happens:

2. It doesn't matter which macOS theme I tried, I have the same issues with all of them, when Compiz is disabled and I'm on Marco (GPU compositor), the macOS them looks fine, except the bug in the panel on the top-right corner with a weird BG color for the indicators only, how can I fix that? :
    https://imgur.com/HHdWbQ8

3. And if I enable Compiz, the whole thing goes even weirder! as you can see, it does something bad to all window-borders / window-controls:
    https://imgur.com/Bc1tWez

So since I can't use macOS theme (as a UX designer, I came to Linux from a Mac obviously) I'm usuing Arc-Dark theme for now, but these bugs / Issues are affecting the overall UX for me, and I'm happy with Ubuntu Mate and I don't want to switch to other Distro, so it would be nice to get some help here...

• Talking about a bad UX: "Sorry, new users can only put 2 links in a post." it's not a good welcoming experience for new users...
    Thanks,
    AV
1 Like

Which verison of ubuntu mate are you using ?
i had the same problem with in ubuntu mate 17.10 but since upgrading to 18.04 i haven’t seen it.

Hi, thanks for your reply.
Well I also upgraded from 17.10 to 18.04 LTS, but the problem still exists… :\

Ok, I've installed a clean 18.04 version on a VM, and all of the issues are still there:

Update: took me few hours, but I think I found the reason - OpenGL configuration in Compiz!
if I disable OpenGL then all themes work just fine, but even after disabling every OpenGL setting individually, it didn’t help. because only when I disable openGL completely, then the themes are fine. but disabling OpenGL acts like Compiz is not enabled at all…

Any ideas how can I enjoy Compiz with beautiful flat-designed themes without compromising ?
Thanks!

1 Like

Anyone? :frowning:
I’m sure there are other users out there having similar issues…

Ok, managed to solve that by myself :slight_smile:
Cheers!

1 Like

Just curious (might also help some one)
What did you do, to manage it?

1 Like

As for #1 - I couldn’t solve that one, the only solution is to disable Compiz, but I don’t like Marco, it reminds me Maximizing / Minimizing effects (and other animations) from Windows 98.

*It would be great if someone can help with it…

As for 2 & 3. I installed the themes in their native folder under the Root directory, and not under my Home dir. So most of the things are working ok with Compiz.

Anyways, there are many issues / bugs with Ubuntu Mate, especially on Cupertino Layout. sometimes the global menu crashes.

And sometimes there are weird crashes with uninformative text, so I have to clear logs. And there are many other bugs that I don’t remember.

Cheers.

About panel problems - it is the problem of gtk3 theme, you need to ask author of the theme about better support for mate-panel