I upgraded from 20.04 to 21.04, and now I see these whackjob under/overshoots!

HI,

I upgraded today from 20.04 to 21.04 because I was having A LOT of issues with MATE 1.24.0.. IE... Taskbar, Workspace switcher, and show desktop widget would quit working and pop up an error message.

So I upgraded to 21.04 and now I get this weird white arc shape that pops up when I scroll to the top or the bottom of something like the start menu or a dialog box say like Software & Updates.

Is anyone else having this issue or know how to fix this thanks?

Here is some video that I took from earlier today:

The "weird white arc" is actually a gimmick effect someone added deliberately because they were having a bad brain day. sigh...
(Funnily enough, when I fixed this locally years ago, the comment for it was: remove "overshoot" effects: adds literally no value, and most users think it's a video driver bug!) :slight_smile:

Fixing it requires editing themes by hand. Find the one you're using, go into gtk-3.0/gtk-widgets.css, edit that and delete everything that has the word "overshoot" or "undershoot" on it.

If you don't know how to do that, umm... well, you're screwed. Sorry. Try to find a theme that doesn't have that garbage in it and use that instead.

It should be enough to create a file in ~/.config/gtk-3.0 called gtk.css, that contains some very simple code that follows. Note that the tilde (~) means that this file path refers to your home directory, and the dot character at the start of the .config folder name means the folder is hidden by default; I'd suggest using this command to do the trick:

mkdir -p ~/.config/gtk-3.0 && cat >> ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css <<EOF
overshoot,
undershoot
{
	background: none;
}
EOF

Then log out and log back in, and presto! Overshoots and undershoots should be gone. For any theme you want to use.

ooh - I like that! Nicely done. :slight_smile:

FYI: although it's pronounced "tilda", the spelling is actually "tilde".

1 Like

This worked for me!

Thanks!