I wanna switch to Ubuntu MATE but Conky+Transparency and MATE are not friends

Hi to the Ubuntu MATE community.
Iā€™m a Linux Mint Xfce user, and I love Mint and I love Xfce, but I was blown away after almost a full day (!!! I just couldnā€™t stop) of running Ubuntu MATE 16.04 beta 1 live out of a USB. Iā€™m really not a fan of MATE, and itā€™s similarities to Xfce most of the times make me miss Xfce, but OH MY GOD, the job that has gone into this distro is amazing and it is slick, simple, flexible and fun, all at the same time!

After the day of using Ubuntu MATE one problem remains that makes it hard for me to switch. It might look like a small thing (OK, it IS a small thing) but itā€™s important to me.

I love me some conky on my desktop, and I have a setup I take with me from place to place. ā€ŽThe thing is, MATEā€™s Show Desktop button seems to treat conky like a regular window and minimizes it. This is a problem Iā€™ve encountered with MATE in the past and was another thing that kept me away, but I hoped it was solved. The only way I seemed to be able to solve the problem is by defining conkyā€™s own_window_type as ā€œoverrideā€, which makes it invisible to the window manager or something. The problem is, ā€œoverrideā€ makes conky unable to use the compositor and ruins my beautiful transparencies. :frowning: (If youā€™re wondering, yes, Iā€™ve tried this with marco, compton and compiz).

Iā€™ve searched around and couldnā€™t find a solution to this problem so I thought perhaps here a remedy would be found.

Thank yā€™all, and to all of the developers: keep up the amazing work youā€™re doing.

Hi,

try Conky Manager, it might help?, there are integrated transparency settings in the app!. :smiley:

Also; there is a Beta 2 Final for UM 16.04 which might interest you?:

1 Like

Conky seems to be fine with transparency on my desktop. You donā€™t need ā€œoverrideā€ to keep the window manager from moving it, ā€œdockā€ or ā€œpanelā€ (depending on your layout) will also work. The relevant lines in my config are:

own_window = true,
    own_window_class = 'Conky',
    own_window_type = 'dock',
    own_window_argb_visual = true,
    own_window_argb_value = 255,
    own_window_transparent = true,
    own_window_hints = 'below,sticky',

Hope it helps.

Yeah, that needs to be in there for Conky to have transparency. And you need compositing enabled.

Thanks folcred,
own_window_type dock did the job (I didnā€™t know this option exists). My laptop just switched to Ubuntu MATE 16.04! Joy!

2 Likes