Ideas of improvements

This is an area that I feel Ubuntu MATE needs to be more innovative and I am glad to hear that @Wimpy is thinking about an alternative menu. I usually have the Advanced Menu enabled as I don’t like the default trio of Applications/Places/System very much (but I also know that the AM has not received as much care in this release and in general looks rather boring, even in its most polished form in Linux Mint MATE). Why not offer something more radical as the default menu in UM 18.04 (probably not 16.10) which has a more modern look without compromises on functionality? How about a design contest for a new default menu? How suitable is the Panther Launcher project mentioned some time ago? I really hope that the menu design (including a bit more theme polishing - perhaps similar to Mint-Y) is one of the next big projects to rival the already brilliant Software Boutique. I think UM needs a new default menu, not more tweak options.

2 Likes

Hi @Wimpy,

Panther Launcher with new version has now added support for mate!
Improve it please.
Thanks!

Hey guys, look at the menu that comes with mutiny,
I love it, it is unique and comes all visually at first sight,

regards…

I know, the Ubuntu MATE crowd funding paid for the development of MATE compatibility in Panther Launcher :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mythical, legendary @Wimpy!

If I can, just some little simple ideas…
To be ready for UM, it need the default option to open categories by rolling over them with the mouse pointer, as the standard MATE menu. No extra click, please.
For best look in UM, the category menu height should be the same of the standard MATE menu. Someone is saying customizable with left mono icons?
…the dark theme is natural…
And Ubuntu MATE will have a new shining menu! Thank you very much!
Just some obvious nice ideas, if you like… other community suggestions?

Sorry for my bad english. Best Regards!

I would like to see the Lancelot Menu in Ubuntu Mate but i cant really see that happening because being a KDE App. (well i can dream)