I'm getting random freezes

I recent bought this motherboard, CPU, fan, RAM etc combo listed here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122919127758

I’m running it with a Nvidia GTX 970 which I’ve had for a while and I’ve not no issues with. This issue has happened a few times on both 17.10 and 18.04 so I don’t think it’s software related, but please correct me if anyone thinks otherwise. I did a complete nuke & pave upgrade when going from 17.10 to 18.04.

From time to time (usually when returning to the computer after leaving it an hour or so idling) it freezes. It does so on rare occasions 4 or 5 times in total) and I’ve not found a way to reliably replicate the issue. I sometimes have control of the mouse but everything else is frozen, sometimes it just hangs on a plain black screen.

My gut was telling me that it was a overheating issue, but after putting temp sensors on my panel, I can see that the last time it froze, the CPU was around 35 degrees C.

I remember having a similar issue years ago and I only managed to solve it after upgrading the motherboard and CPU with leads me to suspect the motherboard might be faulty, but that’s not a confident suspicion.

actually there have been reports of other freezes, Ihad some soon after 18.04 was released but i have not had any problems recently, I just manually restarted it and it was fine

That’s interesting, thanks for letting me know.

The last time it happened was yesterday for me, but I’m pretty sure I experienced it once or twice under 17.10.

all I can say is make sure you are updated, though in one of the other posts the person reinstalled and he said it is fine now so?

It happens once a week or so, so I can’t decide if it’s worth kicking up a fuss with the seller.

TBH I should have gone to a brick and mortar store, but there are so few of them left :frowning:

They are made by the video drivers from nvidia i can bet on it. A friend had the same problem but after updating the nvidia video driver the freezes stopped.

I am using the Nvidia proprietary drivers, but they haven’t proven to be an issue on the last board. The reason I originally tried them was because the card is new, but I hear the Nouveau drivers have come a long way.

Maybe I should give them another go. Thanks for the ideas.

The seller recommended upgrading the bios just in case, so I’ll give that a go.

I’ve also installed some more fans for good measure. So I’ve got a fair few ideas to try out.

Thanks for the assistance folks!