Initramfs after attempting backups

Hi All

After trying to run a dejadup backup I get an “unknown error” in backup window, then after restarting machine end up at the initramfs / Busybox prompt. After a reboot I get:

/dev/sda2 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
**Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found **
run fsck manually

After running fsck I get lots of blocks and inode count wrong - which I fix with a YES/NO option

After that I get file system fixed, but this keeps happening.
Am I on a slippery slope - don’t know if its an impending hardware failure…hence the backup…

Appreciate any help

Can you provide a little more information please?

1. HDD or SSD?
  2. Encrypted or Open?
  3. BIOS Smart Monitoring : What’s the status?

If you can confirm these items, especially point 3, we can potentially move forwards :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure

1. HDD
  2. Open
  3. Not sure. I ran smartmontools and it passed, but thats about the limit of my abilities.

Okay that's a good start. Platter (HDD) drives are more prone to physical failure than Solid State, so there's a fair chance that it may be failing as you said.

I'm not sure what fsck command you ran specifically, generally it's unwise to run fsck on a mounted partition, so can you umount and go with

`fsck -A`

This will scan all items it picks from your fstab. If it's easier for you, you can also undertake the same tests using gparted.

Here's a link to the official documentation on disk checking at Ubuntu : Check your hard disk for problems - showing you how to check your HDD/SDD SMART status from within the OS.

It's still worth going into your BIOS and looking for S.M.A.R.T status, which will check the status of the drive outside of the OS. If you're still getting errors despite repeated fixes, you may well be best served by moving critical data off the drive as you've done, and replacing. (Personally, I use an SSD as an OS drive, then have my home and all other data on a separate drive completely, it makes dealing with issues and reinstalling a breeze).

Thanks BrokenCanoe.

Ran the SMART test and things seem OK. Its an old(ish) disk so presumably it will get worse over time. I had a look through BIOS and didn’t see anything SMART.

That’s odd that SMART is reporting the disk as okay (although historically I’ve had legacy platter disks fail without SMART picking up on it, so it’s not entirely foolproof).

My only other suggestion is to boot to recovery (or sudo init 1), and then run another

fsck -y
fsck -A

Beyond that, I don’t have anything else at this time. Keep an eye on the drive and consider investing in a replacement in the near future if you can.

[quote=“Danpo, post:5, topic:13314”]Ran the SMART test and things seem OK.[/quote]This may sound odd but, try unplugging the HDD’s cables and plugging them back in exactly as you removed them. Thing is, I have seen this once before, HDD seeming to fail when all that happened was a poor connection between the HDD and the rest of the system as a result of, in that case, a faulty cable.

No guarantees but it might explain the discrepancy.

1 Like