Install Ubuntu-MATE using the "Something else" method

I like your set up Steve, and thanks for doing a test check wolfman.
As I’ve already downloaded the mate DVD, I’m thinking of doing this.

My home partition has a home for “michael” left over from ubuntu 12, as well as the current “mike” with unbuntu 14. What I intend is delete everything in “michael” and copy the .thunderbird and .mozilla files from mike into michael. Then call myself michael for the new installation, which will go on the old 12 partition. If that goes well I can then copy all the data over. I was going to do that today but ran out of time, So it’ll probably happen tomorrow.

I hope it goes well, because I’m feeling at home here already!

1 Like

Up and running, installation was trouble free, I’ve got all my firefox and thunderbird stuff.
I’ve just made links to the data in “mike” for the moment, a little messy but lets me run both OSs and share the data without the risk of configuration conflicts.

I like the software boutique, I’m downloading some programs from there that look very interesting.

1 Like

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad e460. I decided to use it only for Ubuntu. I worked for 4 days and tried different methods.

The only way it worked is to use a USB flash drive, use gparted, format the hard disk in MSDOS, FAT 32, disable secure boot, enable boot in legacy mood only.

I tried all the other methods in various forums. The ext4 file system partioning, erasing hard disk and performing clean ubuntu install under UEFI systme with various combinations did not wok.

I almost gave up. But finally I found the post where it was suggested to format it in fat32 and MSDOS and boot only in legacy mode.

Thanks for the help. I am really sorry I am not able to thank the original author who wrote the solution.

Kudos to you and a big thanks

Viswanath

That’s just about every modern machine these days. There’s an explanation on why you need to do all of that bullocks in the UEFI / BIOS;

Microsoft’s meddling had made it so you have to buy a key in order to install an operating system which isn’t theirs. Some Linux systems have it, but certainly not Ubuntu that I know of. SecureBoot is advertised as a way to keep out rootkits installed via malicious software from your motherboard but a side-effect for Microsoft is as they’ve mandated it, they authorized their systems, and their systems only to use it in some instances, which is a terribly anti-consumer practice.

While SecureBoot being off opens the risk of having the motherboard become infected with a persistent rootkit, due to the more security-orientated nature of open-source software that shouldn’t be a problem, as malicious code has to be authored and executed in some way before that happens, and unless the author of your project happens to be Clement Lefebvre, you shouldn’t have to worry about their software being compromised by a third party.

†: Clement Lefebvre is the creator of Linux Mint, the event I am bringing up involved poor security on his server allowing an unauthorized third-party to modify and publish a malicious version of his system using the Cinnamon desktop environment. No harm intended, just a cheeky stab at lazy people; Linux Mint is perfectly safe to use these days.

Hey there, Is there "not live version" of ubuntu-mate-18.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso where I can use kickstart to automate the installation?

It appear to be that live installer does not support kickstart.

An even easier way for people is to maintain a list of their favourite packages in list form and use that with xargs. Example, with some software I would typically install from fresh (after some prior configuration):

:spiral_notepad: File mySoftware

git
zsh
python-configparser
./Downloads/libspiro0_0.5.20150702-8_amd64.deb
./Downloads/libfontforge2_20170731_dfsg-1build1_amd64.deb
./Downloads/python-fontforge_20170731_dfsg-1build1_amd64.deb

:house: . refers to the home directory in this case.

:file_folder: Assuming you're already in $HOME

:heavy_dollar_sign: In x-temrinal-emulator:

sudo xargs -a ~/mySoftware apt install

Some very recent testing as I was writing this yielded the above as a valid result. As demonstrated above, local file paths (so long the files are there) can be used.

1 Like

Thank you for this excellent tutorial, Wolfman! I've just repaired a boot partition hosed up by trying to fix a minor issue, and you've saved me hours of worry about losing my home partition.

1 Like