Installation of a second distro alongside Ubuntu Mate

Hello,

I have two hard drives on my computer: a 1TB drive with Win 7 installed on it and a new 2TB drive dedicated to Linux with Ubuntu Mate installed.

These are the partitions of my drive where I installed Ubuntu Mate

What is the best option for installing a second distro?

• I decide how much space to allocate to the new distro and the installation process will do the rest automatically.

• I pick the "Something else" option and assign mount points manually to the new distro.

By the way, as a measure of precaution, when I installed Ubuntu Mate I disconnected the drive with the Win 7 OS from the motherboard. Once Ubuntu Mate was installed, I reconnected the Win 7 drive and I was pleasantly surprised to see that when I rebooted that Win 7 was added as an option in the bootloader screen. As far as I remember in the other distros installation I had to "sudo uptade -grub" after the first booting into a new distro before Win 7 drive would appear as an option during booting, but I may be wrong. Was it automatically done by Ubuntu Mate?

Looks like your disk in the image is MS-DOS partitioned. Your next partition should be an extended partition since you are limited to 4 primary partitions and if you make another primary partiton, that will use them up. Whether the automatic partitioning will account for this, I don’t know. You could try and see what it proposes.

But, Using “something else” option will allow you to shrink your sda3, create a new extended partition and then 1 or more logical partitions inside that for the new OS and other further expansion.

Thank you very much for helping!