Installing Transpose! in path - Ubuntu Mate 16.04 i386

I would like to try Transpose! however, I can’t seem to get the program to run. I ran chmod +x and then:

$ sudo mv transpose /opt/
$ export PATH="/opt/transpose/bin:$PATH"

Hi,

try converting the tar package to a .deb file?.

You will need to install “alien”:

sudo apt-get install alien

Read the following carefully!:

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man1/alien.1p.html

First the package I downloaded for testing doesn’t have a bin directory. Unless you changed something your second line should read export PATH="/opt/transpose/":$PATH secondly you need to install gstreamer.

sudo apt install gstreamer1.0-plugins-base-apps libgstreamer0.10-0 gstreamer1.0-plugins-base0.10

That should solve your issues.

Do I need to somehow undo the export PATH="/opt/transpose/bin:$PATH" command that I ran, or should I just run your version?

Thanks

Okay from the top, First off your link goes to an application called transcribe not transpose. Downloading the tarball, assuming it’s the 64-bit version you will have xsc64setup.tar.gz.
Typing

sudo tar xzvf Downloads/xsc64setup.tar.gz -C /opt 

will deposit the contents into the /opt directory. At this point you should be able to type /opt/transcribe/transcribe and have it function.

Assuming that works correctly since you did install the gstreamer files necessary as mentioned above you can add export PATH=/opt/transcribe:$PATH to your .bashrc file or even create an item in the start menu by right clicking and editing the menu. (q.v. Menu edit instruction on HOW-TO-GEEK )

Thanks for th info. Here is the outcome:
$ /opt/transcribe/transcribe
/opt/transcribe/transcribe: error while loading shared libraries: libgstapp-0.10.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

As I stated above you need to install the gstreamer files for it to work.

I did. I followed the command exactly.

Sorry missed one.

sudo apt install libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10

will make it work.

$ sudo apt install gstreamer1.0-plugins-base0.10
[sudo] password for user: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package gstreamer1.0-plugins-base0.10
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'gstreamer1.0-plugins-base0.10'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'gstreamer1.0-plugins-base0.10'

I know it’s frustrating but I screwed up and gave you the full package name in my haste. It’s just,

sudo apt install gstreamer1.0-plugins-base

Your missing library is in there. Sorry for the confusion.

$ sudo apt install gstreamer1.0-plugins-base
[sudo] password for user: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
gstreamer1.0-plugins-base is already the newest version (1.8.0-1ubuntu1).

Still getting the following error:
$ /opt/transcribe/transcribe
/opt/transcribe/transcribe: error while loading shared libraries: libgstapp-0.10.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Your missing library is in the libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10 package according to
http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/amd64/libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0/filelist

The same goes for the i386 version. How do I check to see if it is actually in the package? There must be a command line command?

dpkg -L <package name> will list all the files in a package
dpkg -S /FULL/PATH/NAME will tell you what package a file belongs to.

Thanks. So , now I have the proper libs installed. Transcribe! also starts, but I get the following error:
Cannot open sound output device.
autoaudiosink
Please see Help - File menu - Preferences - Playback
for information about specifying output devices for GStreamer.
GStreamer cannot output audio for playback (Error T:2142)
Do I change the preference or do I need to enable autoaudiosink somehow?

You mention in an earlier post that the $PATH can be added to the .bashrc file. Is that done at the end of the file?

I went and installed it on a virtual box and it seems that the autoaudiosink is part of the gstreamer0.10-plugins-good package which I thought was pulled in with something else but it look like not. Once it’s running it also wants the jackd package. So one more install:

sudo apt install gstreamer0.10-plugins-good jackd

Once that’s done it works on my test machine with virtual hardware. It’s definitely an interesting application.

Coool. Now it works on my machine as well. Unfortunately, as jackd was already installed, it got set to manually installed. I am not sure if that makes a difference. Anyway, thanks for all the help :slight_smile:

1 Like