Installing Ubuntu Mate 15.10 on an External Hard Drive, and keeping Internal HDD the same

Can’t say goodbye to Windows yet, since I like to play recent games, most of them being windows only. Hope with Vulkan being released a month or so ago, developers will use it and make multiplatforms games the norm. At least retroarch has an ubuntu version, so I can play my old games in Mate no problem.

Going to be looking for a case for my hard drive, since it could be the dock that is messing up my boot loader. Anything I should be looking for in an external hdd case? Like type, brand, build etc.

Think I would go crazy swapping hdd’s, but thanks for the suggestion Roy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You could be adventurous and put Windows 7/8/10 on the external hard drive instead using Win2USB.

That’ll probably rule out UEFI issues but mean having to re-install everything. :neutral_face:

Oh god, I can’t imagine doing that extremely long installation setup of Windows 10 so soon again. :scream:

And, wouldn’t running the games on external hard drive load slower?

Current plan is wait a couple of days after 16.04 LTS releases and try that. If its still the same, then maybe try another distro. If that also doesn’t work, then I throw in the towel(for at least a year or so).