Installing Ubuntu Mate on a Samsung 30Gb PCIe SSD (second hard drive)

Hi all
Im new here but not to Linux, have tried many distros before coming here to Ubuntu MATE!
I would appreciate any help whatsoever with regard to installing Ubuntu MATE OS on a PCIe SSD drive. I have windows on a seperate SSD (eSATA) drive and want to install Ubuntu MATE on a second SSD drive and still have the option of GRUB menu, is this possible? I have scoured forums and I know that its possible to install Windows on one drive and Linux on another and still be able to have GRUB at startup with a choice menu OS…but everytime I go to the install Ubuntu menu after booting the live CD i dont see the Samsung 30GB PCIe SSD as an option to install on in the partition table menu? Its strange because i can see the drive mounted when im trying out the Live CD? Buts its only when I go through the installation process that I dont see the PCIe drive??! Any suggestions as to why this is happening?
Thanks in advance…

Do you see the drive with GParted? (From the live session: System → Administration)

It could be possible that the disk is formatted as GPT instead of MBR (GParted can check this). It would depend if the computer is a BIOS machine or UEFI/EFI and how it's being booted (EFI/legacy mode) should it be a GPT partition table.

Since you say it's a PCI Express drive (never heard of that till now), you could also check to see which device file it's assigned as (eg. /dev/sda)

lsblk

Also when trying to install, use the “Something else method” to see if the drive/partitions is/are listed!. :smiley:

Cheers Iah7 and Wolfman for the replies.

Yes i see the drive in Gparted,
The machine is a Dell XPS8500 and has both Bios and UEFI boot capability. Is there something Ive got to tweak in order for the installation process to recognise the PCIe drive?

Wolfman

Yes when i get to the installation window i always choose "something else".

Im sure its something ive got to enable surely?!

thanks for any more advice its much appreciated.
cheers

the boot window says “Boot mode is set to: Legacy ; Secure Boot : Off”
have i got to change the boot settings i wonder??
Ive checked the drive details and its Basic MBR…

Also disable “Quickboot”!. :smiley:

You should be booting from Legacy to get to the Grub menu I believe!. :smiley:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/UEFI-and-BIOS

Wolfman do you mean quickboot in Windows 10, as ive just turned it off but no luck still same issue I can see the drive mounted in Gparted so its working, i can write and delete stuff onto the drive as well but in the installation partition window its does not appear?!
will have a look at the links youve sent me, many thanks

Does it appear in the list if all partitions are unmounted? It could be possible it's being excluded from the list as it's "in use" or being treated as an external drive, although I would of thought it would automatically unmount and appear regardless. :confused:

Iah7,
Ive tried it mounted and unmounted makes no difference still does not appear in the installation partition window...even my external drive shows up in the partition table. The only odd thing about the Samsung ssd is that in Gparted there is a circle icon next to it, maybe that means something?! I cant post pics up as im a new user! but i have taken screenshots of what im seeing everytime i try to install....

Ah, if it's an "error" symbol, it could indicate a problem with how it's formatted which is why the installer will not be able to properly install to it. Hovering over the icon or viewing the properties should reveal the reason.

I'm not sure if you've got Windows installed / data residing onto this same SSD (I'm not certain by your description), but if you're looking to completely erase it, you can do so by using GParted → Device → Create Partition Table... and choosing msdos (MBR).

Iah7 i think youre right.i just did what you said and now its showing up ok. Windows is on a completely separate drive. I want to now install linux on this 30gb drive…and hopefully have the choice of booting into either drive at start up?!
cheers for your help and patience its helped out a lot!

Glad to hear. You should be able to install as usual to the newly formatted SSD using the “Something else…” option. (The installer may detect the empty drive and offer to install alongside, even easier)

GRUB will automatically find other operating systems, which will give you that prompt at startup. You may need to double check your boot order (in BIOS settings) too so it loads the GRUB bootloader instead of the other SSD first (Windows). :slight_smile:

Iah7 all sorted got it installed and up and running, booting via the samsung ssd…superb speed with linux on a ssd!!
many thanks
regards

1 Like