Introduction Thread

Hello all,

My name is Justin Horner and I’m a software engineer and UI/UX designer. I’ve been a software engineer for well over ten years and have been a lead UI/UX designer about four years.

I’m also a songwriter and former lead guitarist of Set For The Fall. I’ve been using Linux (many distros) since college and am very happy to have discovered the Ubuntu MATE community.

I’m here to contribute to Ubuntu MATE and make some friends in the community along the way :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hello Justin and welcome man. Good to see you here.

2 Likes

Nice music @justinhhorner!. :smiley: I hope your Linux skills are as good!. (Only joking of course and welcome) :smiley:

1 Like

Hello,

My name is TextChew. I’ve been using linux for about a year now, vey pleased at how well it works. So far, I’ve moved around from debian, mint, ubuntu, fedora, and antergos, but I’ve settled on ubuntu MATE 16.04 for right now. It works very well. :smile:

I prefer to keep my privacy, (I’m even using tor right now) but hopefully that won’t matter at all. I’m eager to get involved in the ubuntu MATE community! :wink:

4 Likes

Hey There @TextChew,

Welcome to our growing community, please take the time to read Guide on posting.

As far as Tor goes, I do not care, but it could be that Discource (our platform) could have some issues with it. Whenever that happens, please contact one of us moderators and we will see what we can do.

Hi all My name is Asik Roy I’m a Doctor living in Chennai, India. An open source lover using linux as my daily driver. Enjoying ubuntu MATE… cheers from an indian user…I started using linux 8 years ago started on ubuntu as most users do stayed with it till 11.10 Unity was okay for me but i missed gnome 2 Then went to fedora and stayed there for around 3 years and it has been an wonderful experience there i installed mate and was enjoying it…then a year with arch and kde plasma was a wonderful learning curve, then hopped a lot in search a perfect distro for me and my laptop which was getting old according to current standards and in the end i found UM 5 months ago and i am well settled here… All the developers are lovely here in responding to queries and it forced me to join the community…Longlive UM…

6 Likes

Hello everybody; My name is bill i live in the Selkirk mountains of British Columbia Canada and i just installed Mate a few days ago. Last year i started using Ubuntu on an old laptop and did ok but never felt totally at home. Finally a couple of weeks ago i bought a used Thinkpad T420 (nice) and ran some live distro sessions and settled on Mate 16.04. So far so good. most everything has gone without a hitch,well except for the dual boot grub window. I like uneventful and so far Ubuntu Mate 16.04 is doing just that.

7 Likes

Hello there, I am:

Name: Roland
Family status: occupied
Study: business administration
Behaviour: peaceful solitary shy nut things
Language: english and hungarian
Software interest: anything related to business productivity

I am using Linux for 1,5 years, since starting it my life is changing so fast. Computer skills with me left the average level like crazy. With Mate I can handle things related to computers simply and personally. Doing it my own taught me also life skills like solving complex problems during the crazy learning curve which is needed to set foot on the land of Linux like a real linux guy not as someone who can’t install with console. Linux things allowed me to be more productive and nothing is more important than that for me which is the fruit of this miraculous open source community. Windows shall never return to me.

Fancy stuff drives me crazy after a while. Mate has precise manners and is a real guardian angel for desktops which allows the user to explore his/her own taste. I like it classic not fancy and the makers deserve world fame I think.

5 Likes

Welcome!

I guess I never introduced myself either. Been here a few months now :stuck_out_tongue:

My name is Victor Kareh. I’m originally from Puerto Rico, currently living in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Married, 3 kids, not enough sleep.

Started using Linux back in the early noughts, with Red Hat 7.2 being my first successful install. Eventually fell in love with SuSE and convinced my entire grad school lab to make the switch. Mild success. Switched to Gentoo as a dual boot with Windows until Kubuntu first came out. Didn’t like it so I gave Ubuntu a try. As soon as Ubuntu started working reliably with my laptop’s WiFi, I pretty much ditched everything else (including Windows) and found my home. I’ve been using Ubuntu ever since until Unity was dropped earlier this year. Then found MATE and instantly fell in love.

By day I manage a small team of web developers making enterprise websites in javascript, by night I’m re-learning C and Python by hacking away at MATE, hoping to give back to this amazing community/team/project.

4 Likes

Hello. I’ve been using linux since 2011. Being a nerd with too much time on his hands I have distrohopped a good part of the linux ecosystem. My old sweetheart was fuduntu, a fedora derivative with a customized gnome 2. I only enjoyed it for about 2 years before it got discontinued… then I went to crunchbang, and I ended up getting used to a custom i3 environment with arch/ debian as base.
Today I installed ubuntu mate, looking for a stable base that would save me the drudgery of setting up an i3 desktop from scratch (sound, keyboard layout, wireless applet, fn keys blah blah blah). Now, I must admit that the moment I got down customizing mate, I got hooked again. You’ve done a great job providing various desktop templates (I prefer the classic one, with the old menu). I also enjoyed the software boutique app (like what they did in bodhi, only much better). I think I might stay with mate for the time being… Sane, mature and complete, yet blessed with modern usability enhancements… Either you do tilingwm, or you don’t, in which case ubuntu mate seems like the best deal there is. Thank you for this.

Hi all.
I'm a GNU/Linux enthusiast from Serbia, working as a full stack Java dev, with strong emphasis on security. I started using Linux back in 2008, when I was a 16 year old script kiddie.
I've used Backtrack 3, 4, 5 (before Kali, before it was cool), but Ubuntu became my main everyday OS.
That year, I abandoned Windows and never looked back.

I was happy with Ubuntu until 2011, when they started this Unity and Gnome 3 disaster. Then I switched to Xubuntu and then to Ubuntu Mate (July 2014).
Few weeks ago, I decided to try classic Ubuntu 20.04, with Gnome, only to see integration with Google, Microsoft, Facebook and other companies I hate (I have a bottle of whiskey, reserved for the end of Microsoft). Then I became aware of the gnome-online-accounts package and it was a hard pass for me.
Then I learned that Canonical Livepatch depends on it and in an attempt to get rid of it, I switched to Debian Mate, but it just wasn't it. I couldn't get all of the indicators working, so I reverted back to Ubuntu Mate 20.04 amd64.
I've been using Ubuntu Mate for nearly 8 years, love it, but I would also like to remove some stuff I don't like (Livepatch), so I decided to come here to ask for little help.

I thought I'd resurrect this thread...

My name is Brian Bogdan and I am 59 years old. By day I am a Technical Support Agent with TELUS Health. I have worked there 15 years.

I started using Linux with Ubuntu 10.04. I did a wipe of Windows install and jumped in to Ubuntu with both feet. I recently switched to Ubuntu MATE with 22.04.

I keep an aquarium with a couple of goldfish and a plecostomus. I live in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, for the last 22 years before that from Springstein and also Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I have one son of whom I am incredibly proud (27)