Is my computer compatible with Ubuntu mate

Hi everyone :wave:
I am a Linux Mint 20.01 user and I might want to change the distribution because of various unsolved problems specially due to the BIOS Legacy and the MBR disk ... My computer is 11 years old and I was wondering if it was compatible with Ubuntu Mate.
The features are :
Dell Inspiron 580
Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
Cinnamon 4.8.6
Kernel 5.4.0-77-generic x86 64 bits
CPU Intel Core i3 550 @ 3.20GHz × 2 -
GPU NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 - driver NVIDIA 390.141 -
RAM 8 GB
Mobo Dell 0C2KJT
BIOS Legacy
GNU Grub 2.04
MBR disk
SSD Crucial MX500 250GB
Thanks a lot for your answers and see you soon :slightly_smiling_face:

PS Forgive my English, I'm French

1 Like

You don't need to forgive anything. You write better English than many of the native English speakers here.

I just checked for the existence of several files in the Ubuntu MATE 20.04 live ISO image, and it appears it is properly equipped to handle BIOS-based computers as well as UEFI-based ones.

The only possible bone of contention I can see is that your computer has an NVIDIA GPU -- these have been known to have very buggy drivers that do anything from flash the screen to even freezing the computer up in some instances. However, if you've used Linux Mint on the computer before, then chances are you either know how to iron out these issues, or you never encountered the issues in the first place -- so I really don't need to tell you this stuff.

Other than that, I see no obvious issues you may run into. Good luck.

2 Likes

Salut berurier

Try booting into the live-Ubuntu-Mate from a dvd/usb-stick.

• if that does work then try installing Ubuntu-Mate
  • if that does not work, you might want to consider MX-Linux (https://mxlinux.org/), which might work for you (it is supposed to work well on older hardware).

I have just retired a 10 year old computer that was running Ubuntu-Mate (very well :grinning: ) because the hardware was giving trouble that was no longer worth fixing.

Bonne chance :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi berurier !
i use ubuntu-mate with same CPU, RAM,BIOS Legacy,MBR disk from 2008 without any problem.

1 Like

Thanx everyone for your wise answers ! I am going to fix today LinuxMint upgrade from 20.1 to 20.2.
Don't know if the system supports it... otherwise I will install U Mate instead. As Joe wrote, it should be ok with my great old Dell

Yes, that's right but I finally solved the problem with a lot of sweat :hot_face:
We keep in touch
Hasta luego

1 Like