Is there a way to change the order of the places tab using the traditional layout?

Hi, I was just wondering if there was a way to change the places tab in the top panel when using the traditional layout. Right now it's laid out in order of Home Folder, Desktop, Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos. I was wondering if there was a way to change it so that it's in order of Home Folder, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos. Thanks! I am using 20.04.1 LTS if that helps.

It's as easy as 1-2-3:

1. Open a Caja window. It doesn't matter what directory Caja is open to, you just must have a Caja window open.
  2. In that Caja window, go to the menu Bookmarks -> Edit Bookmarks. This will open a dialog of your bookmarks, including the built-in bookmarks such as Downloads.
  3. In the list on the left, scroll down to the line for the Downloads folder, then click and drag that line to just below the Documents folder in the same list.
  4. (BONUS STEP): Oh yeah. Close both the bookmarks dialog and possibly the Caja window that you opened in step 1.

For whatever it's worth, here's a demonstration of where exactly to drag the Downloads folder, if you have trouble (some applications are pretty picky about drag-and-drop, although Caja is usually not one of them):

move-downloads-folder

Or perhaps you'd like to apply these changes en masse and you can't be bothered dragging and dropping for every single user?

1. Open the file .config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks in your favorite text editor. (Hint: You can press Alt+F2 and type pluma .config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks.
  2. Find the line (probably the last one in the file, unless you've added custom bookmarks) that says file:///home/[yourusername]/Downloads.
  3. Select that entire line, and then cut it. Delete the blank line which remains behind.
  4. Go to the end of the like which reads file:///home/[yourusername]/Documents.
  5. Press Enter to insert a new line, then paste the clipboard onto the new line.
  6. Save the file and close the text editor.

Actually, either way you can copy that .config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks file to any user you want to have the modified list ordering.

1 Like

Hey, that works. Thank you so much!

1 Like