Is Ubuntu Mate a Good OS for Privacy?

The problem with Tor is that it gives you extremely slow internet speeds, so while it would as far as I know be the best solution for privacy it’s not really a viable option for most people.

1 Like

True. Sadly, when faced with choice of privacy or convenience, most people will opt for convenience every time. Right to privacy is being quickly eroded because 1) information about you is worth money, and 2) people just can’t be bothered. :smile_cat:

Canonical has been very up-front in the information it collects, and I don’t mind. I click “yes” every time when they want to know my machine configuration. It isn’t the stuff where they ask permission up front and explain their intent in plain English that you have to worry about…

1 Like

Maybe I2P is a solution. I do not know much about this, just read a short article.

Mickey :relaxed:

Canonical’s telemetry data does not infringe on your privacy. It’s a fully anonymized report of some generic hardware configuration, used to make decisions about what the developers should focus on for future releases. If your concern is anyone intercepting said data, you can use whichever mechanisms you already use to protect yourself when browsing the web (vpns, proxies, etc)

3 Likes