Is ubuntu mate available for raspberry pi 3 b+

I have a raspberry pi 3 b+ .Will the existing ubuntu mate support the raspberry pi 3 b+ or should I wait until next realease?

Hi @Sridevi_ram,

it should show up here when it is available?:

https://ubuntu-mate.org/raspberry-pi/ :smiley:

You can run Ubuntu MATE on the 3B+! Use the method I describe in “How-To Set Up and Upgrade Ubuntu MATE 16.04 on a Pi 2/3/3B+:innocent:

@ graf_eberstein I’ve tried this process a couple of times, and, apart from finding a couple of errors in the process, I’ve not suceeded.
Derek

Can you elaborate on the errors? If I have an error in the instructions, I would like to correct the document.

The reason Ubuntu MATE doesn’t work on the Pi 3B+ out of the box is because it comes preloaded with an old bootloader which lacks support for the 3B+. However, you can get Ubuntu MATE running on the Pi 3B+ and the Pi 3A+ by updating the bootloader. One way to do this is by using rpi-update, but this installs the very latest version of the bootloader available, which may be buggy. You could also grab the latest bootloader files using wget and then unpacking them if you also have a supported Pi model, for example, a Pi 2. If you’re working on a PC, you could extract the files the deb contains to the boot folder.

@ graf_eberstein

1. in Section V UbuntuMate card set setup, the first reference for resizing is to /dev/sda1 ext4 - but this should be /dev/sda2

2. when I copy the /boot files saved from the raspbian installation into the UbMate card, it will then not boot to allow me to perform the setup. I’ve tried it with several versions of raspbian, but with no success even when I correct the reference to location of root files to the correct blkid.
    Derek

Thank you for the heads up about the error. I’ve made the correction (noted and credited in the changelog).

As for copying /boot… At the risk of asking something blatantly obvious: You are copying everything that appears in /boot , including the directory called overlays (/boot/overlays), right? You do need the whole thing in order for this to work.

I’m not sure what you mean by “several versions of raspbian”, but it has to be one that will boot on the 3B+.

Hope that helps.

OK

1. Yes, I copied everything, including overlays (first time, I noticed I hadn’t copied overlays, and corrected it. Then made sure I did it on subsewuent trials)
  2. I tried with 2018-11-13-raspbian-stretch-full,
    2018-03-13-raspbian-stretch
    2018-06-27-raspbian-stretch
    2016-09-23-raspbian-jessie

The nearest I got was a boot to the Ubuntu screen, but no input accepted from mouse or keyboard. I couldn’t work out how to get any further.

HTH
Derek

Okay… Any Raspbian release prior to 13 March, 2018, will definitely NOT work on the 3B+ because it wasn’t available before then. The 13 March release might though.

I can’t tell you about the keyboard/mouse issue as it sounds unrelated (do they work if you’re running a different system on the same Pi?) They should be recognized automatically unless they’re either oddballs (see the RPi HCL for this…) or weird, aren’t connected directly, or some form of PEBCAK is involved…

The keyboard is HP PR1101U - in the OK list
Mouse is Topro Technology - not in either list
Both are directly connected to 2 of the USB ports (perm any 2 from 4),
and work with raspbian, OSMC, UbMate 16.04.02, Pidora, Xubuntu …
I’ve no idea what PEBCAK is, but having looked it up can only comment that I’ve tried it a number of times for these installs, and cannot see why it fails for both. Is there anything I can get from the logs, and are they available on the SD card after I’ve stopped things?
Derek

Okay… I really am at a loss then. By all accounts it should all work, especially if they work on other Pi OS distros.

To be honest, I don’t think the problem is with the procedures I outlined for that reason because:

• Using the boot data, drivers, and kernel from the Raspbian release.
  • On Ubuntu MATE 16.04 before running the upgrade to 18.04.

Unless I’m missing something, all Pi distros use the same boot files, drivers, and kernel. The 3B+ has slightly different hardware that isn’t supported yet by Ubuntu MATE yet, which is why you must use the Raspbian boot/kernel/drivers. You might need to refer this to someone who has more experience in those subtleties; something I don’t have.

To date, the only comments I’ve received, be it here or via raspberrypi.org, about trouble from using my guide has been the result of either skipped or incorrectly followed steps (i.e. PEBCAK); yours is the first instance that isn’t.

BTW: That term I cited is short for “Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard” (PEBCAK) :innocent:

Thanks for the comments.
I had looked up PEBCAK before I finished my last post.
I have even less experience in these subtleties than you, but have noticed differences in dates, lengths of some files .
Derek

Generally, the newer the file(s) the better the chances of success. :innocent:

The reason you couldn’t use a keyboard is because you haven’t copied over the kernel modules. I had the same issue when I started building Debian for ARM64. The system would load but I couldn’t use my keyboard and therefore I was unable to sign in. Installing kernel modules solved this issue.

On the Raspberry Pi Forums, someone was having an issue with their Pi failing to boot because of a kernel panic. I gave them instructions on how to update their kernel to the latest stable version just in case it was a bug with the kernel they were using. You could follow my instructions. The instructions could help you update Ubuntu MATE’s bootloader and kernel modules to a newer version compatible with the Pi 3B+.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1405207#p1405207

You’ll also need to add some new WiFi firmware for the built-in WiFi to work. Follow the instructions on the Ubuntu Wiki.

I followed the instructions, which include the copying of the /boot files where, as I understand it, the modules you refer to, exist.
Derek

code_exec is correct. As is the person replying on the guide, pointing out the erroneous steps.

It’s simple:

For the 3B+ to get past the rainbow screen you need recent bootloader files. To get the wifi to work you need the appropriate firmware files. If you can boot with just these modifications and you have some sort of internet connection working then run rpi-update. If you still can’t boot/no internet then manually update kernel7.img and the module files.

If the ultimate goal is to reach 18.04, then you are better starting off a fresh and install 18.04 either from the server image, or via the Debian installer.

The kernel modules aren’t stored in /boot. They’re actually stored in /lib/modules/kernelversion

OK - copying them across from the RaspBian got the things working.
@ graf_eberstein this may be necessary for others - I don’t know how many it would have affected.
Derek