Issues with Nvidia graphics drivers: smaller fonts and screen tearing

Hello,
I'm having trouble with the Nvidia graphics drivers. I have a Nvidia GeForce GT 610 graphics card and I'm using the nvidia-driver-390 drivers. One of the first things I noticed when I switched from Nouveau to the proprietary drivers is that panels and menus have smaller fonts. Here's a comparison of them:
This is how the panel looked when using Nouveau:
Captura%20de%20pantalla%20-2019-01-31%2019-45-41 panel-nouveau-2

And this is how they look using the Nvidia drivers:
panel-nvidia-1 panel-nvidia-2

Here's a comparison of the bottom panel also showing the bottom menu of LibreOffice. This is how it looks with Nouveau:

And this is how it looks using the Nvidia drivers:

Note how the document is wider with Nouveau despite the zoom being set to 100% in both of them. You can also see the fonts are smaller with the Nvidia driver.

Another issue I'm having is that when I play a video a horizontal line tearing the image appears. It only appears at the top, and it's more noticeable when playing videos full screen. The tearing doesn't appear when taking a screenshot or recording the desktop using software like Kazam, so I'll attach a picture I took with my mobile phone showing a clear example of what I'm talking about (I circled the areas where the horizontal line in question can be seen):

I'll also attach the image without the ellipses:

I apologize for the low quality but it's the best I could get. The tearing is not present when viewing it in other devices.

This didn't happen before I installed Ubuntu MATE. My previous distro was Ubuntu 16.04 and everything worked flawlessly.

Does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

For small fonts - you can set up font size from control center.
You can get rid of screen tearing in this way Remove the tearing in nvidia without compton or compiz
or just use compiz.