Just did the upgrade to 17.10

Then I must have set it up in the beginning and forgot all about it. I
will transfer that to a jump drive and then do a fresh install I think.
I am a bit nervous about some of the issues others have had with going
the upgrade route; or, maybe I should do the upgrade for the experience?

Never seen that, does re-installing it still do the same?

sudo apt install --reinstall ubuntu-mate-welcome ttf-ubuntu-font-family

Otherwise, it must be a graphics/rendering bug, as this is just text with the Ubuntu font and not a graphic.

Iā€™d suggest creating a complete snapshot of your system, so if worst happens, you can easily restore your system exactly the way it was before. Clonezilla Live is a tool that can do this sort of thing (youā€™ll need an external USB hard drive).

Must be, as reinstalling didnā€™t change it. Aw well, itā€™s not worth worring about. :smiley:

Remind me in April (March?)! I did so many fresh installs, but no upgrades :confounded:

Looks like it was marked as a dupe of https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cracklib2/+bug/1681231, which is being worked on now.

1 Like

Definitely didnā€™t get all the upgrade. Even though I get a ā€˜your system is up to dateā€™. Just watching the videos on 17.10 that are out thereā€¦and it becomes obvious. So.
Any of you have a good idea as to get full upgrade without having to wipe and fresh install?

W

p.s. How can I complete Mate Tweak with the panel choices ? Do see the reference to them in /usr/share/mate-panel/layoutsā€¦ But they donā€™t show in Mate Tweak. Any easy routine to get them back ?

How does one not get all of the update? Thatā€™s what I am confused on. Are we needing to write shell scripts to confirm if we have the latest files via apt?