Keyboard shortcuts and maximised DOS games

It used to be that when I played a DOS game in a maximised DOS box, the keyboard would be mapped according to the game's design. In particular, I mean the F keys across the top of the keyboard. I used to be able to do a quick save with F8 or F6 (depending on the game), but now it seems to call on a MATE command and the maximised DOS window is minimised and the game's command is not executed.
Any help would be much appreciated. :slight_smile:

Which version of Ubuntu MATE and window manager are you using? (e.g. Marco, Compiz - from MATE Tweak)

Have a look in Keyboard Shortcuts from :control_center: Control Centre to see if there's any mappings. By default, there isn't mappings that use just the function keys, but holding Alt + F4/F7/F8/F9.

1 Like

Thanks, I checked that, and then saw that it seems to have had certain function keys mapped as media keys, etc.
I saw that this could be a BIOS thing for my Lenovo laptop. I went to the BIOS and found a Keymap setting that deals with the mapping of most of the function keys. It was set to Enabled. I changed it to Disabled.
Now, those media keys require Fn+ in order to be used, and the function keys are standard. And that the DOS games mappings work as expected.
Thanks for the help!

1 Like