Laptop and Desktops, screen garbled after Mate install (nvidia graphics only)

When I attempt to install Mate on a 32 or 64 bit pc, with nvidia graphics, the unit ends up with an blurred screen after the installation.

Is there a way to install nvidia drivers during the install? I have searched around and have not found a solution except for one explanation that was so convoluted and way above my pay grade I wont even try it. It was much easier to replace the video card with an AMD card and complete the job. I don't have this issue when installing MX Linux or Xubuntu on these machines. Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Vince

Hi @VinceC, I haven't had to install drivers during install, so wouldn't know how it works but in the installer, on the page it says Normal installation, Minimal installation, it also has options to install updates during install and 4th option to install additional drivers. You have to be connected to internet though. May be if you select this option it will install necessary drivers? Or after install there is 'Software and Updates' where we have a tab 'Additional Drivers'. That should also help to select required drivers.

Hello saivinoba,

I have attached a pic of the screen I get when I boot the pc from an Ubuntu disk. IMG_1705|499x499

I have used all the options you mentioned during any install I have done in the past. As you can see, I can't do the install when the pc boots to a screen like this.

Based on further reading, I have looked up alternative downloads and am going to try the different downloads available. Thanks much for your reply.

I used nomodeset installing 18.04 on an Asus Z84J (Core2 duo / nvidia Go7700) laptop. The unit runs real good with an SSD drive and only 4GB Ram (MAX).

1 Like