Love the software boutique

I have to say, ubuntu should have mate's software boutique.
It's fast, loads well and most of all, lets you select multiple pieces of software before you decide to go ahead and install. Brilliant. I also updated two of my machines from 18.04 to 20.04. it's looking good too.

5 Likes

Glad you like it! :smiley:
:boutique: :ubuntu_mate:
Just wait until we finish Software Boutique 2.0 - it'll be an actual software center of sorts and not just confined to a catalogue of tried & tested applications. :smirk:

6 Likes

So far the 20.04 Software Boutique is much improved over 16.04. I've no experience with the versions in between.

One question is the Virtualbox version in the Boutique still the "open source" version that lacks important things like USB support or has Oracale finally let others package the full version?

I need the USB support, but much prefer using a package manager version when possible.

You can install Oracle's Extension Pack on either version. Because of the "personal, non-commerical evaluation" license the pack has, I don't think Ubuntu is allowed to package it up.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Though IIRC, when you update and next open VirtualBox, it usually prompts if you want to download/upgrade the newer pack.

Wait a minute — Hadn't I mentioned that idea before? And if boutique is going to extend into that, what's it going to mean for the More Software tab?

1 Like

There doesn't seem to be a version on the virtualbox.org site for 20.04 yet.

It's been on all our wish lists for a long time. I can't remember exactly when. It's a bit of a slow project.

"More Software" will probably be apolished as it'll become redundant. When this version is actually ready to test then we can review what happens to GNOME Software / Synaptic.

1 Like

True, though I was thinking of the extension pack specifically. If you were to go for Oracle's build, then "Ubuntu 19.10" package should work for now.

Although downloading the package wouldn't add the PPA to keep it up-to-date, but the one in the repos will. In fact, that's probably why that one was chosen - since Oracle can take a couple of days/weeks after a brand new Ubuntu release.