Lubuntu 16.04 is not working

had any one tried lubuntu 16.04.
I downloaded it from lubuntu website , burned it on a disk, verified the disk And when I select …try without installation… it gives a blank screen and nothing happened.
So, what could be the problem ?:confused::confused::confused:

This is the forum for Ubuntu MATE and while I think Lubuntu is a good choice, Ubuntu MATE is more beginner-friendly. Have you verified your .iso images after downloading them from their website? You might also have a faulty USB and could try with another one instead.

3 Likes

I downloaded Lubuntu 16.04 32 bit the other day and installed it in a virtual machine. It was working well. So, my guess is either the problem is limited to 64 bit, if that’s what you downloaded. Or, there has been a fault in the download.

2 Likes

I had a similar issue with Lubuntu. It may be a video driver issue. You might want to try booting the live system using the ‘nomodeset’ option.

1. When you see the GRUB menu appear, highlight “Try Lubuntu without installing” and press ‘e’ to edit the boot options.

2. Using your arrow keys, navigate to the line that ends something like this:
    …file:/cdrom/pressed/lubuntu.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity quiet splash —

3. At the end of that line, but before the hyphens, insert 'nomodeset. The line should now end with something like this:
    …boot=casper only-ubiquity quiet splash nomodeset —
    (You can even remove ‘quiet splash’ if you want to see the boot sequence executing.)

4. The press CTRL+X or F10 to boot into Lubuntu.

3 Likes

Hi @Hemanta,

did you also follow this adice?:

2 Likes

@rev
yes, it worked.
But how to solve this issue ?
Do I have to follow the same step for installation ?
what if I do not find any suitable video driver for my PC…
Do I have to do this every time I run Lubuntu (After installation) ?

I am using Ubuntu-mate-16.04 and there wasn’t any driver issue…

What graphics card do you have on your UM 16.04 installation?.

See boot options here also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

1 Like

I have dealt with this same blank screen issue on three separate systems while installing three different Ubuntu distros (Ubuntu, Ubuntu Mate, and Lubuntu). These three systems use Nvidia or Nouveau drivers.

In my experience, I’ve never had the blank screen issue reappear after installation.

I can’t promise that your issue will be resolved after you finish installing Lubuntu. But, based off of my personal experience, I think you’ll probably be able to boot normally after installation. You shouldn’t need to reenter the nomodeset option on every boot.

If you are curious to know which drivers are available for your system in Lubuntu, you can navigate to Preferences > Additional Drivers while in your live DVD/USB session.

If you are already using Ubuntu Mate without issue, I highly doubt Lubuntu will give you any problems.

3 Likes

@wolfman
I do not have any graphics card but that issue appeared. :disappointed_relieved:

Also Disk image writer not working.

Hi @Shubham_Pardeshi,

please start a new thread if you are having problems; thanks. :smiley:

If disk image writer is not doing it for you, plug your usb drive in and issue the following in a terminal:

sudo dd if=input.iso of=/dev/sdx

Where “input.iso” is the path and name of your ISO and the “x” in “sdx” is the name of your USB. In my case is is “c”. So, for example:

sudo dd if=/media/stephen/Store1/Software/Distros/Linux-ISOs/ubuntu-mate-16.04-desktop-i386.iso of=/dev/sdc