Mate-maximus no effects

Hi there.

In my new Ubuntu Mate 20.04 install, mate-maximus does not work properly anymore.

If I choose "Do not decorate maximised windows" and "Please maximise new windows" (translations from my german desktop) it will or will not do this (~5/5). Most times it will open a window like maximised but decorated. So it is useless for me, because I use Global Menu and just want the menubar without buttons and then the program ins fullscreen, without titlebar.

In 18.04 that worked correctly in 9/10.

Any tipps or solutions?

Hi :slight_smile:
Are you trying over Tweak tool ?

Yes, that is exactly what I did.

I set hook "Undecorate maximized window" and took the hook from "Do not auto-maximize..."

Are you using Marco ? or something else like compiz ?

Yes, I use Marco as adaptive compositor. Used Compiz some years ago, but changed to Marco with 18.04

It's perfectly working my side ... I have done different tests.

When you done this changes, did the tweak tool disappeared in the background ?

Can you try to run that inside "Run" and not a terminal ?

It will reload marco, but please run it with alt+f2 - Run and not a terminal

marco --replace

Yes, the tweak disappeared in background several times. Good or bad?

I did the replace in Run, I will report if anything changed!

1 Like

Hello olek,

thanks a lot, seems like your tipps solved the problem!

I read the marco manpage, but I would never have found the marco --replace to be the solution.

When I did it, I restarted the machine and it seemed like cleared all settings done before. I started all my often used programs new, maximized them and now it seems in 9/10 cases, they start as I want them to. Great, great, great! I was starting to think about moving over to a tiling manager without any decoration... but now it works.

Thanks a lot, that was really nice help, didn't expect it, to be solved so fast. :grinning:

The marco --replace found now its way into my cheatsheet!

Oh man, sorry, but I tested it a few times, it did not really solve it.

Here some programs I tried, first column means started after reboot after marco --replace, second column means restarted in same session, third column means started after reboot.

Y means started up maximized, no title bar, no decorations, no buttons (tried to put a screenshot in, but I only can paste one in a post as a new user).

This is N:

Now the programs:

Evolution Y Y Y
Firefox Y Y Y
Caja N Y N
LO Writer (empty) Y Y Y
LO Calc (empty) Y N N
Gimp Y N N
Rhythmbox Y N Y
Google Earth N Y Y
gthumb Y Y Y
.odt document out of Caja/Kupfer-Launcher Y N N
Folder out of Kupfer-Launcher N N Y
Terminal Y Y Y

I'm a little bit stumped, seems quite random to me, not consistent. I would have expected mate-maximus just to force them all if set.

Settings are as told.

Are you running something specific like doual screen or something that can force marco to reset itself ?
Its strange ....

Hi olek!

No, nothing specific, it's a solid Lenovo T420, 8GB Ram, SSD. No dockingstation, no dualscreen.

I use Kupfer as launcher (but that should not make any difference).

Yes, it's very strange. It worked in 18.04 bearly perfect.

No ideas except trying the other Marco option - No composer to see the difference.
Maybe some one from this community got the issue and know what is all about :slight_smile:
Let's hope

Thanks a lot!

I thought about this, too, also to give Maximus 3 seconds time to autostart, but I didn't want to go further now (not to break more stuff).

I did more checks now, it's completely random, which program when is how opened. From 70% correct opened to 35% in a session.

Yes, I hope :wink:

Here one more picture to make it clear...

Do you have this setings in place ?

Do you use a dock like plank ?

Yes, I have exact the same settings. In the general settings I have the first hook (composit windowmanager) activated.

No dock, no menu-button.

I do evereything via Kupfer and shortcuts.

Update:

I tried Compiz yesterday, it does it completely correct, but I don't want to use Compiz, seems a bit heavy for me, I don't need 99% of its possibilies and it throws around my keybindings.

Changed back to Marco and made a bug report on github:

1 Like