Menu line in LibreOffice

My main goal with Ubuntu is using LibreOffice. It works perfect. This winter I discovered Ubuntu MATE based on Ubuntu 20.4, and tried it. To my big surprise, when trying other desktop layouts than standard "Familiar", the menu line in LibreOffice disappeard. I wanted one with dark layout, tried "Redmond", but same problem, no Menu Line in LibreOffice. When I go back to default Desktop Layout it is back again. How can I resolve this problem? Is it some tricks inside LibreOffice that can hide and dehide the Menuline? MATE is unusable for me if I cannot experiment with differens layouts.

Hallo peringulf

The Ubuntu 20.04 is still in the pre-release testing phase. You must expect it to be unstable - it is still "a-work-in-progress".

I would advise you to consider installing Ubuntu-Mate 19.10, and updating to Ubuntu-Mate 20.04 in the summer (roughly the end of June or early July), when the first "point release" i.e. 20.04.1 comes out. That should give you the most stable and reliable experience.

If that is not an option for you, you might want to download the latest stable (not "fresh") release of Libre Office as an AppImage [https://www.libreoffice.org/download/appimage/].

AppImage is a portable application format for Linux that allows users to run applications on rolling (e.g. Arch, openSUSE Tumbleweed) and stable (e.g. Ubuntu LTS, CentOS) Linux distributions very easily, without the need for installation or worry of dependencies. AppImages bundle all the files needed for an application to run (e.g. libraries, translations, icons, fonts) that may not already be present on a user's system.

LibreOffice AppImage is a portable version of LibreOffice for Linux that can be run from any location (e.g. local drive, USB, CD, network share) on all popular Linux distributions, including their live CDs. LibreOffice AppImage is available in three versions - Basic, Standard, and Full - which support a different set of languages.

• The Basic version includes support for the default language, English (US).
  • The Standard version includes support for English (US and GB), Arabic, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese (Brazilian and Portugal), Russian, and Spanish.
  • The Full version includes all languages supported by LibreOffice.

I hope one of these suggestions will help you get to where you want to be. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you for the long and very interesting answer. Early this morning I made an apt-get update ande apt-get upgrade, got a massive upgrading of my system, I also downloaded the lateste deb-files for my LibreOffice, I don't know which part made the change for my problem, but now it seems like the problem is gone. The best part of your answer for me now, is your explanation of what an AppImage stands for, I have read about it, but I did not understand what the "portable" could mean. I compared it with portable computers, but now I beleave it is like software from the good old days, when a program was one file, and that was it. It was software not depending on any other files at all. But that is a long time ago :slight_smile: I will definitely try the LibreOffice AppImage.

My question was based on very bad observations! Now I understand that in some themes, Linux desktop will lock menu lines on the top line of the screen, the menu line just jump off its own program windows and fetches to the panel. One program that will not behave like this, is the Apache OpenOffice version of this office package. The menu line stays inside its own window. But OpenOffice has several disadvantages, so I think I prefer Libreoffice, but both programs can live nice side by side. I was also told to create an account, I have done so long ago, and are now logged in.