Misleading title for "How to create a bootable USB drive"?

Sorry in advance, but I didn't know how to raise this otherwise: it's about an article on ubuntu-mate.org

I was looking for help to make a bootable USB drive to use on my laptops, when I came across https://ubuntu-mate.org/how-to-create-bootable-usb-drive/

I spent some time trying to make sense of it. I finally came to the conclusion that it only applied to Raspberry Pi computers. Am I right? Could you suggest to someone that the article could be renamed "How to create a bootable USB Drive for a Raspberry Pi"?

The process shown in the beginning using Gnome Disks is still a valid way to create a bootable USB drive from an ISO.

I'll flag this and get some feedback on changing it.

2 Likes

@desconocido
looking for help to make a bootable USB drive
-- try this

1 without usb stick inserted....yet....run
sudo blkid

2 insert usb stick and repeat last command
Now you will know for sure? what your target dev is
eg /dev/sdb or c or d etc as its the NEW dev

1. Flash it with
    sudo dd if=/pathway2/UM.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M && sync

Change sdb to whatever....
Change UM.iso to whatever your iso is called eg ubuntu-mate-19.04-desktop-amd64.iso
&& sync does not give a progress bar but will drop back to a prompt
only when flashing is EDIT complete. Generally speaking allow 10 minutes so
no excuses to talk to your family or give your pet a cuddle :innocent:

also your terminal will be able to use the TAB key to bash-autocomplete the full iso name so type ubu and press TAB should be enough to save typing all of it

1 Like

Thanks. I got the GUI command
System -> Administration -> Startup Disk Creator
to work in the end.

Sorry for the delay. Made some minor revisions to the page. Hopefully it makes it clearer.

Thanks for pointing it out. Feedback like this really helps us work to make improvements.

1 Like

Thanks for that. I wasn't familiar with the .xz file format, and when I saw that the first two sections (" On Ubuntu and Ubuntu MATE" and " On GNU/Linux") used example from Raspberry, I mistakenly assumed that .xz was only for Raspberry.

1 Like

...follow my contribution:

under root user environment (logged in as root) type the instruction cp image.iso /dev/sdb; sync [enter].

tks.

Alex.