Mousepad Erratic Mate 19.04

Installed Mate on HP Elitebook and the mousepad is irratic. I have to hold the right button and click the left to click anything...among other general weirdness. Sometimes the screen will fill with calculators.
What log could I post that might help someone help me figure it out?
Be gentle, I'm relatively new.

Hi pompezoid,

could be a whole number of things, do you have a USB mouse and does that work okay?. Is your system fully up-to-date?.

Have you considered an upgrade to UM 20.04 as the support for 19.04 has reached its end?.

If you have a root and home partition setup, you could take the easy route by using the "Something Else Method". If you update via the normal way, you will first have to update to 19.10 and then 20.04!.

Thanks for the reply! USB mouse works ok, but triggers other weirdness. I’ll give the upgrade a go and report back.

Please keep us informed so it helps others. :grinning:

Found out the laptop was booting in UEFI mode. Switching to Legacy and doing a clean install. Maybe that was the problem? I’ll let you know.

If your computer has UEFI (BIOS), make sure you also disable Secure boot and Fast/Quick boot in BIOS (UEFI). :thinking:

Thanks for the tip, but had already researched the subject and had Secure and fast boot turned off. I haven’t had time to test much, but it seems the mouse/touchpad problem is resolved. I suspect installing 19.04 while in UEFI mode and fast boot enabled was most of my problem, but I can’t prove it. The calculators are back though, just as before. And after a complete replacement upgrade. Tonight I turned on the laptop and went away. When I returned the screen was filled with calculators. I’ll start a new thread on that subject. Thanks for the help Wolfman!

1 Like

I have marked this thread as solved assuming you are in agreement?.

I still recommend that you upgrade to 20.04, or at least to 19.10. It is possible that you have broken files somewhere on your system and that is why the calculators keep opening up?.

Try Welcome > Software > Fixes which may or may not help?. :grinning:

Yeah, the mousepad and USB mouse worked fine again tonight. I guess I didn’t provide enough detail. I had the updater take me to 19.10 and then to 20.04 after setting the bios to legacy mode as you suggested. I’m guessing Windows 10 booted in UEFI and I blew the partition away and installed Ubuntu which had a problem with UEFI and fastboot?

I don't think that you would have a problem with multiple instances of an app opening due to UEFI?. Is 20.04 running stable for you now?. :thinking:

Yeah, 20.04 seems to have fixed the mouse/touchpad problem. The multiple calculators are a separate subject and I’ll start a new thread. Thanks again.

1 Like