Multi language participants

to clarify, here’s the flow I’m thinking of:

1. User post a new thread
  2. People reply
  3. Thread is resolved
  4. When and only when thread is resolved, it is added to Transifex
  5. When it’s been translated and proofed on Transifex, it’s then fed back to the forum under a language category

Edit: actually, after being resolved, it could be submitted for review to forum admins who could then decide if the topic is of sufficient interest to the community to warrant translation, and then feed it to Transifex

1 Like

Not a bad idea, but still sounds like a lot of work which might not be efficient, especially if the solution didn’t actually solve another person’s problem.

Here’s the plan, take part in the poll:

1 Like

I trough there are more community (Ubuntu) forums in different languages, maybe because we have it in Slovenian and we aren’t really that big.

Personally when I look for help or how to do something it helps when there are photos attached to it, even if they are in English or some other language, just to see when you can find something or how does it looks.

Sometimes words can have different meaning and if you are using your language you might not know what that could be or how it’s translated. I even learned a few new Slovenian words while translating Welcome into my language lol

Maybe the topic name could include if there is post in another language, when users don’t understand English enough or have to use google to translate into it.

Also like idea of some beginner post being translated into most popular language if we have enough of that kind of users here.

1 Like

Interesting you mention pictures; I don’t really do that because I believe that I write well enough to not have things lost in translation. But maybe, maybe I should add pictures of doing things in a live session for the UI bits, where applicable.

1 Like

I like to think that I also write well enough … but OTOH some folks are visual learners so when appropriate I include screen captures

1 Like

Hi @ouroumov,

I like your thinking but it would mean that someone is going to have to constantly work as a translator and would most likely not have time for normal posting on the forum, I wouldn’t take on such a job, I would answer any questions I could in German and as @lah7 pointed out earlier, I would also translate my own guides into German but I wouldn’t want to be working on translations every day, as good as your idea is, I don’t think it is practical!.

1 Like

@tiox & @pfeiffep,

a picture paints a thousand words and that is why I use them all the time, it often speaks for itself and limits the amount of text that needs to be written to help solve a problem!. :smiley:

2 Likes

@tiox & @pfeiffep I would agree with @wolfman pictures are great way to show how something is done, that’s why I usually always include it when posting stuff, maybe because I’m more visual type of person and don’t really like terminal all that much and usually have to read things multiple times to understand the meaning when is just words/haven’t done something like this before. On the other hand I post photos that help me explain what I wanna say sometimes that maybe I don’t really know how to describe exactly.

So I personally like to see photos and even videos of how things are done in the whole process, especially in the beginning when learning something new.

3 Likes

Thanks for all your feedback. We now have a new multilingual area for languages in demand ( :flag_de: :flag_es: :flag_fr: )