Mutiny dock doesn't scroll

I’ve just upgraded from 17.04 to 17.10 on my laptop to have a play and found that when I add an application to the Mutiny dock there are two problems. The first (which may just be a quirk) is that the application is always added to the bottom of the list initially and then requires moving to where you want it. Not a major issue, but it would be nicer if it was placed where you choose from the start.

The second is a real problem. I have added a few applications now and there are too many to fit now. The Brisk Menu has vanished off the top, then I have 11 applications; the bottom of these is half off the bottom of the screen. I also have at least one more which is off the bottom of the screen where it is impossible to use.

I can’t quite believe this is the way it should be working, so does anyone have any ideas, or are there any logs I can look at to work out what is happening?

As an aside, which may or may not be related, when I add an application the Brisk Menu generally causes and error and needs restarting (this is logged as a bug), an that results in it being placed over the top of the top application in the list.

1 Like

I don’t understand your problem? When I open an app, it starts on the bottom, but I can move it, where it will stay until I close the app. If I right click and choose Pin < application >, it will stay on the dock when I close the app, and the icon will stay where I move it.

I don’t use Mutiny, but I have used the MATE Dock Applet, which Mutiny uses, for a long time. I’ve seen this once or twice when I opened a large number of apps, so I think this is a flaw in the Dock Applet. I suggest you submit a bug report with the Dock Applet’s issue tracker.

3 Likes

I wasn’t using the Pin option, I was dragging the application from the Brisk Menu onto the dock and putting it in the place I wanted. That ignored positioning and drops it at the bottom. I guess that is to be expected since there was no visual confirmation of position by moving the other icons up and down to make space.

I’ll add the other issue to the issue tracker. I decided to post here first in case there would be a reply indicating that this was known and already in hand - I try to avoid clogging issue trackers with too much noise if possible given the number of duplicates than often end up there. Sometimes a forum helps find the correct issue if you haven’t worked out the correct search incantation / description of the problem to match things up!

2 Likes

Ah, I understand now. As a longtime Mac user before switching to Linux, I would have expected that to work too. (Maybe also if I were a longtime Unity user?)

I agree about forum vs. bug report. I know the feeling of being sure you are submitting an unreported issue only for it to be marked a duplicate because they’re using a different name for everything. Sorry if my comment sounded dismissive — I just meant it to be straight to the point.

1 Like

Not a problem, I’ve been around on mailing lists and forums long enough to cope with the limitations of text only communication :slight_smile: