My last Computer Solved

I want build a computer and possibly make it my last.
The Socket 2011-3 based c.p.u. seems like a good choice.
Giggles aside and the prospect of built-in obsolescence, is this a good platform for this idea? :smiley:
Also, is having a 12 core c.p.u. with 24 threads good for all around use?

Have I freaked anyone out yet?

So
Iā€™m not an expert, but 12c 24t can be good or bad, depends on the cache size of the CPU.
Other things to consider: howā€™s the TDP and the cost of power where you live? What GPU to go with it if any?
And the heck do you mean by ā€œall around useā€? Should it be able to do VR? Do you want to train a neural net on it to interface with your EEG patterns and talk to it?
Cheers

1 Like

Sounds like a mini server to me!

Another thing to consider is what type of applications youā€™ll be running. Some/many (especially older programs) run on a single thread, so the clock speed becomes important if you want to get the best performance out of themā€¦ but having more cores running at faster speeds will be more costly.

2 Likes

How can you, or anyone for that matter, know if in 10 years time that machine wonā€™t be totally obsolescent?
That said, the socket 2011-3 is probably the safest choice.

1 Like

ā€œall around useā€, could be for any use. It could be from office to rendering an animation.
Maybe I should have asked what platform could make it into the 8k gaming arena?
I noticed that a GTX 1060 has 8k resolution. That does not mean it is good for it.
I guess I will have to face computer obsolescence eventually and just quit buying one.
There have been times friends and family have given me on old machine to two.
Thanks for the replies.

Youā€™re right; and to answer the question: yes, go for the socket 2011.

1 Like